Fitting kenwood cd head unit with autoleads adaptor xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barbarian

Fitting kenwood cd head unit with autoleads adaptor xantia

Post by Barbarian »

I just tried fitting my old kenwood cd player to my xantia, ill need a wiring harness but i noticed that the autoleads facia adaptor iv got has no place to actually screw the head unit in securly. Is this the case, when using the autoleads facia adaptor the head unit can slide in and out freely with only the wiring holding it in place?
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

maybe im being thick but every where i read it says a harness adaptor is not normally required to fit an after market cd player to the xantia mk1. But my cd player has only 1 small connection, but the xanta has 3 connectors A,B and C
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

The adapter screws into the dash where the original head unit did. Then you have to fit the mounting cage to the adapter. The cage comes with the head unit when you bought it. Then the head unit slides into the cage and clips in.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

right with u so far, but what about the wiring loom
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

You have two ISO connectors (one for power and the other for speakers)and the remote control connector, should you not?

Sounds like your Kenwood has a single proprietary(?) connector, so you'll probably need a Kenwood->ISO adapter and a steering wheel control->kenwood remote control adapter.

Anything in this picture look familiar?
ImageImage
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

right im startting to get this now, which one is for the power and which one is for the speakers? A,B or C? My kenwood does not have a romote control function so i take it there will be no way for the streering wheel controls to work?
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

lol i am rather thick iv actually got a Kenwood ISO connecting loom.

The cd head unit does'nt have a joystick port or that but it has a cd changer port, is it possible to get the steering wheel controls to work via the that port?
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Nah, I'm fairly sure it won't do anything through the changer socket.

Sony head units seem to give least trouble as regards connecting to the steering controls.

Might be something to look into if you can't live without the controls... :(
ImageImage
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

yeah got it working, i dont think there is anyway to get that head unit to work with the steering wheel controls its to old year 2000. Im gonna need some knew speakers mind you as it does not sound anywhere near as good as it did in my old car which had 4 decent speakers built in as standard.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I've got a Kenwood cd/radio in my 96 XM, got an adaptor off the net, works a treat with the steering wheel controls.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

yeah but how old is your unit? and what port did the adaptor use on the back of the head unit?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Barbarian wrote:its to old year 2000
Its only a baby, my Kenwood KDC-PS909 worn born about 1998 and still sounds excellent :D
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

BonceChops wrote:Its only a baby, my Kenwood KDC-PS909 worn born about 1998 and still sounds excellent :D
That doesn't work with the steering wheel controls, does it? I thought that had some kind of infra-red thing you stick on the steering wheel?
ImageImage
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

It should have but I don't have it. Not that I would stick it on anyway. I find it works just fine poking at the buttons on the head unit with my fingers :). Or will do if i ever get around to fitting it again since I changed the car. Installing the new speaker cable into all doors and running a fat power cable to the boot area is putting me off. At leat the estate has the storage pods in the back with removable covers. I intend mounting the amps inside the rear wings covered by the pod covers. So I will have 3 amps and a cross over in the boot totally out of sight and out of the way :) I can't even fit the head unit untill I install the amps because there are no amps in the head unit at all so you can't connect speakers directly to the head unit.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless