Clicking, like an indicator relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Clicking, like an indicator relay

Post by Jshodgson »

I have developed an intermittent clicking sound coming from the steering wheel/under the steering wheel. It comes on if I partially move the indicator stick but no indicators come till it is fully engaged. The clicking is also too fast.

An earlier post suggested I may have a dodgy relay as my washer stalk wasn't working fully (no intermittent wipe and no wipe when washers on)

I have other gremlins in the steering wheel as my steering wheel radio control for volume intermittently makes the search function work! :?:
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I used to have the same thing in mine but was told it's an old trick of Dealers to activate the 'hazard warning' lights for a few minutes occasionally and it will be sorted.
I did this and it used to make the noise disappear for a while until I had problems with my air conditioning and was given a wiring diagram to modify the power feed so that it comes from the cigarette circuit rather than from the ignition switch.
Don't know whether it was just coincidence or not, but as soon as we did that, the clicking noise disappeared and hasn't returned, so I presume there's a connection.
The wiring diagram was supplied to me on this forum by Clogzz who may be able to point you at the posting if you can't find it on the "search" facility.
I'll have a scratch around and see if I can track it down also.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Found it.

This is the entire thread which may be necessary to follow it properly.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17322

Hopefully that might give you some peace and quiet; possibly the most annoying sound I've ever heard in any motor car so I know what you're putting up with.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The clicking from the indicator relay is probably unreleated to your other problems. It is caused by metal dust from wear in the indicator switch which causes electrical leakage in the switch, which upsets the indicator relay.

It is usually worse in damp weather, and can sometimes be temporarily fixed by vigorously operating the indicator switch a few times.

It can be fixed by replacing the indicator switch, or by a modification to the indicator relay to make it less sensitive. This modification just requires soldering one resistor to the back of the pcb in the relay.

I posted details on the old forum, I will dig it up if you are interested.

Mike
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

xantia_v6 wrote:The clicking from the indicator relay is probably unreleated to your other problems. It is caused by metal dust from wear in the indicator switch which causes electrical leakage in the switch, which upsets the indicator relay.

It is usually worse in damp weather, and can sometimes be temporarily fixed by vigorously operating the indicator switch a few times.

It can be fixed by replacing the indicator switch, or by a modification to the indicator relay to make it less sensitive. This modification just requires soldering one resistor to the back of the pcb in the relay.

Mike
Dig it up if you can Mike, as I know this is an ongoing problem with these.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

xantia_v6 wrote:The clicking from the indicator relay is probably unreleated to your other problems. It is caused by metal dust from wear in the indicator switch which causes electrical leakage in the switch, which upsets the indicator relay.

Mike

I remember the old post it was when we were on Andyspares.. and you were right mike ... mine righted itself after a week and has happened a couple of times since for just a few days.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
xantia_v6