xantia electric hydraulic pump?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

xantia electric hydraulic pump?

Post by deian »

what are the possibilities here? of having an all electric hydraulic pump?

i understand it would shift the load from the engine driven hydraulic pump to the alternator therefore back to engine, but would it be more reliable? or wear sooner? would we need a big pump?

i'm thinking of this because the the C5 and the C6 have electric pumps don't they. are they silent? i know the electric pumps on the 405 Mi16x4 aren't exactly quiet, but they do work well. And so does the electric pump on the injection moulder at work, now thats a BIG motor!!! as big as an engine, and pretty quiet for it's size.

Just an idea. Discuss. 8)

Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Unless you have always had a hankering to coast downhill with the engine turned off why bother?

I can understand modifying cars to go faster, stop better, look different, provide a picnic table on the boot, but to change the power source of a pump - ?
jeremy
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

One of the methods of raising a HP Cit with a duff engine is to use a drill (electric or cordless) positioned with the pump drive belt on the chuck or large bit.. then squeeze the trigger and hang on so as to pressurise the system. An electrical pump drive could probably be fashioned on this principle.. perhaps with an hydraulic/electrical pressure switch actuating the pump drive when required. However, given that electrical faults are reputed to cause the most breakdowns, a mod like this could be a backward step when the standard (pre-hydractive)system is quite amazing in its simplicity. An interesting idea though.. could work really well for a trailer. I wonder if anbody has modded their bx or xant? Martin.. 93 tdsx
I won't do that again
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

C5/C6s have an integrated hydraulic block, which incorporates the electrovalves which in turn do what HC did, plus a small ACC and the electronic brain. And it's silent, you only hear a small whirr standing outside the car.
I sincerily only see the use of an electric pump for a trailer, as mentioned, or as a fail safe mechanism.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You ever tried turning the pump by hand - using a socket and a ratchet ?
It is scaring how much force you need to turn the pump when the PR is close to its cut-off pressure value.
Its not just an old wiper motor & gear that can do that. You need something much more powerful.
The powerdrill mentioned above literally needs to be a "power"-drill.
The pump takes something like 0.5BHp average and 1.5BHp peak off the engine to be driven.

My guess the later type C5 electric pump is driven by some smaller motor with a rather large gear ratio.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

I wonder how long the motors will last before they give up? We need to remember the C5 is quite a new car and hasn't been 'tested' as long as the Xantia.

To be honest with you I don't know why I thought of it, but why did Citroen think of it for the C5? And can the advantages of the idea work on a Xantia? There must be pro's and con's of both.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The use of a hydraulic control & feed block on the C5 IMHO is a natural development on cost reduction. Its much simpler to have most of the hydraulic gadgets in a box and fit it where applicable. Also using electric sensors and wiring instead of mechanical links saves a lot on the production line - with less - or nil - calibrations.

The contra's are more "sophisticated" fault tracing when the system fails. Ghost problems because of water & corrosion in the electrics. We all know how french cars are build in the electrics - dont we :roll:
You can not make a monkey mechanic repair the system, and he would just love to make a meal on you replacing the hydraulic unit - because "it aint working properly mate - whatsit dangling around down here - you fiddling with a stereo - ah? " :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

mpr1956 wrote:One of the methods of raising a HP Cit with a duff engine is to use a drill (electric or cordless) positioned with the pump drive belt on the chuck or large bit.. then squeeze the trigger and hang on so as to pressurise the system. An electrical pump drive could probably be fashioned on this principle.. perhaps with an hydraulic/electrical pressure switch actuating the pump drive when required. However, given that electrical faults are reputed to cause the most breakdowns, a mod like this could be a backward step when the standard (pre-hydractive)system is quite amazing in its simplicity. An interesting idea though.. could work really well for a trailer. I wonder if anbody has modded their bx or xant? Martin.. 93 tdsx
Bugger I was trying to work out how to do this as there was a very nice looking blue Xantia HDI estate on ebay that went for £250!!!!
It had an engine problem but I did'nt buy it because I'd never have got it on a trailer :x

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone