Xantia 1.9TD LHM rubber return hose

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Peter. N, I like the way you are thinking. I have a plumber friend who lives opposite. I have actually been quoted £82.36 + VAT from a Citroen dealer, but that's still ridiculous.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if lhm affects copper tubing as I'm seriously thinking of replacing my car's hose with a combination of hydraulic hose and copper fittings where bends are concerned. :?
My existing hose is weeping at the pump end and has been cut once/twice before.

Cheers Stevie
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
deian

Post by deian »

not sure about the copper pipe, how would it react with the LHM, but rubber for the bendy bits won't work at all because the natural direction change in the bends will eat the rubber more because of the flow on the corner compared to the straight.

my dream is to still get see through hydraulic pipes, suitable for lhm.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Copper tubing is in no way affected by LHM. LHM is in the same family as mineral engine oils. It would preserve the copper tubing against corrosion :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

deian wrote:not sure about the copper pipe, how would it react with the LHM, but rubber for the bendy bits won't work at all because the natural direction change in the bends will eat the rubber more because of the flow on the corner compared to the straight.

my dream is to still get see through hydraulic pipes, suitable for lhm.
Ahh - but we dont have THAT much flow :wink: It certainly is no problem in the genuine hose sharp bends.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Peter.N. wrote:....Or, you could make it up from 15mm copper and just use rubber for the bendy bits.
Bet the modern later type plasticide plumbing are equally usable. Used for air lines, tap water and central heating. Comes in a variety of diameters.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

In fact you could make it up to 15mm copper then reduce to 10mm copper using standard plumbing bits. I have repaired my BX pump to reservoir line using copper, its been there for years :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks everyone. I took Mandrakes advice and took the big shorcut by re routing the pipe, it'll get me by until I have to buy one.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,

I found the same thing with my CX. There is fine cracks in the hose at the bends causing the pump to lose prime (randomly).

I went to the local hydraulics place, grabbed a couple of metres of the right sized hose (just whipped the hose off reseviour end and measure it's internal diametre .... Once home with the new shiny hose ... I found the other end a different internal diametre (much swearing at Citroen and the stupid cr@p they do, no doubt to ensure you buy original parts).

As a temporary fix I taped the existing hose up along it's length until I could make up a wider section of hose for the pump end and a joiner .... That was about 2years ago and counting :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll get to it oneday :roll:

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DoubleChevron wrote:Hi Guys,

I found the same thing with my CX. There is fine cracks in the hose at the bends causing the pump to lose prime (randomly).
Hi Shane,

Thats interesting... when you say lose prime do you mean it was completely losing its prime and was unable to pump until you manually primed it ? Or do you mean it was just sucking in huge gobs of air until it primed itself ?

I'm still monitoring a clear section of hose I have in the return line back to the tank, and first thing in the morning if I open the bleed screw before starting the engine, then start the car I get about 3 seconds of vigorous bubbling and frothing through that hose before it goes (relatively) clear again.

I'm guessing that when the car is left to stand overnight that even a tiny air leak in the hose at the tank end will allow the column of oil at the junction of the tank and hose to sink back down inside the tank and draw in several inches worth of air ? It certainly seems that way...
I went to the local hydraulics place, grabbed a couple of metres of the right sized hose (just whipped the hose off reseviour end and measure it's internal diametre .... Once home with the new shiny hose ... I found the other end a different internal diametre (much swearing at Citroen and the stupid cr@p they do, no doubt to ensure you buy original parts).
I did the opposite, I measured the pump end, got that size, and found the tank was bigger :evil: :lol:

For those wondering, on a Xantia the pump end tube is 10mm, and the tank end is 13mm. To get a snug fit you need hoses with a hole that is slightly smaller, I ended up using 3/8" (9.5mm) for the pump end and 1/2" (12.7mm) for the tank end and both are standard sizes and a good snug fit that stops rotating with a moderate amount of pressure from a jubilee clip.

I plan to take pictures of the fittings and pipes that I use so I can document what I'm doing which will hopefully help save someone paying for the over the top Citroen pipe....

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Simon,

I have these visions of a pig flying happily over a frozen hell before I'd pay those $$$ for a small length of rubber hose. There is most certainly nothing special about mineral oil hose that can handle a little suction. Infact is readily availabe quite cheaply by the metre.

Yeah what usually happens is the car will take forever to rise, what your infact doing is waiting for the pump to self prime. Once it does it then starts to pressurise and lift in the normal way.

CX's appear to be known for this more than Xantias though (my old ID19 tended to do it as well until I fitted hose clamps).

Yep, what is happening is the pump is developing air pockets in the suction hose when the car is left for a length of time.

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)