Xantia lower arm bush replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Xantia lower arm bush replacement

Post by andmcit »

Took the lower arm off in 20 minutes and got it refitted in 15 today but had a REAL battle of attrition with the damned bushes for hours and hours and hours trying to get the blasted things off/out of the arm and putting the new one's back on isn't pretty either - Is there a knack to doing these?

And it didn't seem to make any difference or influence things leaving the drop link alone untouched - the only saving grace after checking and IGNORING it being mentioned in the BOL!!

I don't have a plasma/oxy torch to melt the bloody things out with but the idea does appeal to me :evil:

Are there clever dodges of actually REMOVING these blighters!! Go ahead make my day, I've got to do the other side tomorrer!!

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 22 Apr 2006, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
deian

Post by deian »

hairdryer? or maybe blowtorch?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Drill a hole large enough to get a hacksaw blade through the rubber. Then patiently cut the rubber free. Slow and easy does it. You KNOW it will come out - be patient.

New bush is fitted using standard grease in the control arm. Heat the rubber to some 60degC - just barely NOT scalding you - to make it softer. Then press in the rubber bush using wood as memberpieces in a large vice.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

AndersDK wrote:Drill a hole large enough to get a hacksaw blade through the rubber. Then patiently cut the rubber free. Slow and easy does it. You KNOW it will come out - be patient.

New bush is fitted using standard grease in the control arm. Heat the rubber to some 60degC - just barely NOT scalding you - to make it softer. Then press in the rubber bush using wood as memberpieces in a large vice.
Hi Anders, thanks! :D

I've used the hacksaw approach carefully today but still managed to cut into the arm which annoyed me a tad! Interesting idea to heat the rubber - I use boiled water help heat up and pop on awkward hoses and bump stops etc but I didn't want to heat and thus expand the metal insets in the rubber bushes...

Andrew
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Is there a knack to doing these?
Yes- take the arm and new bushes down to the local engineers where they'll charge you about a tenner and do it in 5 minutes :!:

- thats the trick I learned after years back spending all afternoon and finally breaking a big vice wrestling with Skoda Rapide kingpin bushes.........
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I cut the old ones off with a grinder, terrible smell of burning rubber, then pressed/hammered the new ones on, remember to mark where the brackets go :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.