Removing LHM tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Removing LHM tank

Post by deian »

How exactly do you guys do it?

From what i tried 2 bolts to take off at the top far side, unclip, but i get stuck taking the centre section off? how far down does that go? Do I need to take the pipes off, or unclip them from the side of the tank? I just want to clean the outside of the tank, and have a good look at it before hydraflushing her

Thanks.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Siphon most of the LHM out of the tank, then tilt it towards the engine, and the pipe block will come out more easily.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

On some cars you can't lift the centre section of the tank out (it's quite long) without disconnecting (and blocking off) the hoses to the top, so make sure you have a selection of jubilee clips ready for the larger ones in case you have to disconnect them.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deian

Post by deian »

I've got those silly crimped clips holding my pipes to the tank centre section, i guess a selection of jubilee clips will indeed come in handy
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I just changed some hydraflush over to full fat LHM on mine the last weekend without undoing the tank's head feed pipes.

I unclipped the pipes off the side of the reservoir - it does swing round to free the main head with it's filters [although the main one does pop off into the reservoir] from it - Ok it can be a bit messy if you don't take your time are are careful and it'll help to have a collection bowl to catch the lose fluid out of the head.

This time I managed to change the lot and was up and running again in just over 15 minutes!! :D

Andrew
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I might as well mention it now deian, but its important to follow the right bleeding procedure after replacing the LHM to avoid getting masses of air into the system.

Before replacing the oil you would lower the suspension with the engine left to idle for about 3 minutes, then turn off the engine and open the pressure regulator bleed screw half a turn to get the maximum possible amount of oil back into the tank. (Some will remain in the piping but you can't help that)

When you're reassembling it and have topped the tank back up, you need to prime the hose to the pump - just disconnect the front most host at the top of the tank, and pour LHM down the hose until its nearly full then reconnect the pipe. If you dont do this and the pump is just sucking on air it won't self prime.

Now when you start the engine its very important that the bleed screw on the pressure regulator is left OPEN, so that the air that will inevitably be in the feed hose to the pump can work its way out.

If you watch in the top of the tank with a torch you'll see what looks like beer froth while this is happening, just let the engine idle for about 3 minutes and the surface of the oil should become calm again. Now the air has been expelled and you can close the bleed screw and allow the car to rise.

Easy!

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deian

Post by deian »

Mandrake, you are a good man, now there is no way I would have known that. So thank for that tip.

I must admit, I like reading your replies on this Citroen board, they are long and thorough. :wink:
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Took a lot of strength to pull the LHM tank out of place, couldnt believe there was nothing even slighlty holding it in place
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You should be able to get the tank out without disconnecting any pipes - I managed it on my hydractive TD. Syphon some of the oil out, remove the clip, and the two nuts at the back. Release as many pipes from the clip on the RH side of the tank as you can, then wiggle the tank upwards - it's got a big rubber spike on the bottom of it. Once you get it up a bit you should be able to unclip some more pipes (I had to cut one or two cable ties I think) - eventually giving you enough free play to unclip the plastic pipe bracket from the side of the LHM tank (on mine there were some small bore hard return pipes that ran through the clip) - slide the bottom of the clip so it disengages from the lip on the tank. Now you will be able to tilt the tank right over towards the engine, and pull the pipe block out of the tank. It's best to do this with 2 people, so that someone can have a small pot ready to rest the pipe block in, and someone else can hold onto the LHM tank - it's reluctant to stand up on its own! Remove the filters (Big D return filter, unclip the spring, and pull it off; conical suction filter - just twist it a bit and pull it out) and clean with petrol. I had no trouble with getting it to prime without filling the hose. Just remember it takes a long time to get suspension pressure on a hydractive car when it's been totally flat!
Richard W