Ha! MOT test victory....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sub42
My Cars:

Ha! MOT test victory....

Post by sub42 »

Hi all,

I have just taken the Synergie for it's MOT. I was expecting a fail, and had put aside a couple of hundred quid for it just in case. I was made to wait for ages. Now, that makes you squirm a bit, doesn't it? Three cars to go in front of mine. That made it even worse. Much bashing around went on under the first victim. The Tester arose from the pit and carried on doing the test. He waltzed back in to tell Mr 'numero uno' his shiny big wheeled lowered sporty Vectra had failed....seems it was front suspension widgets were too loose.

Next came Mr Deux, with his Citroen AX. Much tutting and grunting commenced, Heave-ho-ing and such as the little AX was poked and prodded. Now this little car looked like a shed on wheels. A more colourful description could be given in one word. Walnut. 'That won't ever pass an MOT, will it?' said the Mercedes 4x4 owner, whom would be test number three. Mr Tester arose once more from his pit and marched back to the ticket window. It's passed. £40 and off he goes in his little tin pot.

The next car was a little more curious. Having spent a little while talking to the owner, I had discovered that this was his pride and joys first due MOT. It was a newbie to the MOT bay. Full (expensive) Merc history and all that. So onto the inspection pit it went. They were a long time under there. A very long time indeed. Nearly a full 45 minutes later, the Tester marched back. 'I'm sorry Mr Whatsit, but it's failed the test.' You should have heard the guys jaw smash the floor! The list was long. Tyres, three needed. Front swing arm thingy bent, and fouling something important. Half a dozen bushes on the rear and front iffy, play in a ball joint, and a leaky shock. Loads of bulbs gone, and it only just got through the emissions test.
:shock:

The next question was 'How much?', 'Hundreds, and best to go to the main dealer eh mate, those tyres are an odd size, and they need to be the same brand on both sides of the axle......?'

Ho Hum !LOL! Seems his bullet proof battering ram, respect commanding SUV is only a money pit and liability then eh?

He cried off. muttering that it wasn't due for another week, and he was going to sue Mercedes.

Mine up next then. I was expecting just the same really. The Tester marched up, as before with a big grin on his face. 'Sh*t!', I thought, thats a did you really think it was going to pass look. 'All OK Sir', no problems at all. 'Nuffink?' was my next thought. 'It's a perfect example, not a sign of wear on the front arms, or drop links, as is common. New exhaust AND turbo charger aswell, all fine.'

Happy, You bet, the old citroen pulls it off again eh......the worst MPV on the road it was once called, but curiously cheaper to buy a warranty for than both a Seat Alhambra and Ford Sharaxy, and passes its MOT with flying colours..hmmm. Only need a passenger side window regulator now, its gone south.

sub.
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
Rob81
My Cars:

Post by Rob81 »

It's a very satisfying feeling, isn't it!

:D
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Tourer
Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDi Camper (conversation)

Previously;
Lots of Citroens including 2CVs, Dyane, Acadiane, Bx, Activa, XM CX and Picasso
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

All cars should be MOT'd every 12 months. Even from new. The Merc proved that a 3 year old car can be unfit to be on the road. After all a car could cover 100,000 miles in 3 years. It's about time the Department Of Transport bined the 3 year rule on new cars.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
deian

Post by deian »

and i'm sure under new regulations they have to spend at least an hour on each car now
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

The place I go to, if a car failed MOT as long as you got item repaired and took it back into them within two weeks, showed them the repair they were happy to write MOT out for you without any further charge, these days they will only do a full retest at the full price, so if it fails first time and you then get it fixed and put through again thats 70 quid total :shock: , so best to make sure they sail through.
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

drpau wrote:The place I go to, if a car failed MOT as long as you got item repaired and took it back into them within two weeks, showed them the repair they were happy to write MOT out for you without any further charge, these days they will only do a full retest at the full price, so if it fails first time and you then get it fixed and put through again thats 70 quid total :shock: , so best to make sure they sail through.
usualy if your car goes back for a retest now the MOT stations are coumputerised min retest time is half an hour from when the tester logs on,even if it only failed on a wipper blade,and as far as i know they are only ment to charge half full test fee
regards malcolm
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

Just told the old man about my MOT. He just laughed and told me not to get so uptight about it next time. His thoughts on the subject were...
'It's only got 53k on the clock, full history, and a bundle of receipts for 1k, how much more do you want to be wrong with it?'

Nuff said. I agree about MOT's every year. My company van will be on 100K+ miles before its mot is due. I have others within the fleet that, because of the engineers location geographically, will be on 150k within the 3 years. It's mental. Added to that the new 'longlife' servicing regime that means my van might only see the dealer 5 times in those 3 years it becomes even more scary. On top of that, three of those visits will only be 'oil change' visits. Its very scary.

sub.

sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

deian wrote:and i'm sure under new regulations they have to spend at least an hour on each car now
Funny you should say that, because I was getting ready to harass the tester when he parked the car out the front of the bay, and then went for a 'tea' break. Seems your observation about the 1 hour rule may be right after all.

sub.