National tyres Oil change offer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

deian wrote:My cup of tea...

Ok, so we may end up paying more for oil from halfords, but seriously now, paying a 'professional' to do an oil change?? C'mon guys, we all have good cars here, and we all know a bit about what we have (or we wouldn't be here right) and we share what we learn. So why pay someone else for the potential of making a mistake? Better do it yourself.

I'd never go to a professional if I can avoid it, to me, the only person good enough to do my car is myself because I will take more care of it.

Sometimes you have to go to a professional because they 'may' have more knowledge and the proper tools and facilities to do the job (i.e tyre changers, 4 post lifts, welders, diagnostic tools etc). But I believe any person can know just as much as the professionals, more if they're geeky enthusiast like many of us are here. Difference being the professionals have nice certificates, better tools, and get paid to make mistakes and con you for big parts. I don't trust trade mechanics at all. Better to do it yourself or if you know an enthusiast that does it by hobby.
so deian what job do you do for a living,as i mend cars preferably older citroens for a living and try very hard not to rip my customers off,the only down side is i only just make enough to pay my way,so im allways skint
regards malcolm
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Ive used their national oil change a couple of times for the 1.8 16v xantia. Currently their rates are £11 for Duckhams 15w 40 hypergrade. £16 for Duckhams Qxr semi-synthetic. and £21 for the fully synthetic.

They seem to do a good job. i.e. they do change the filter, and also fill the oil to the correct level, but as always it depends on the clown at the depot. The filter they used on the times I used them was by wick (American firm I think)

Whether or not they use the oil they say they do, well you ask the same question of a main stealer, the only difference is the staler will charge £200 for more or less the same thing, and a quick walk around the car.

The link to the national prices is below

http://www.national.co.uk/promotions/promotions.html ,then click on special at the top, then go to the bottom of the page and click on oil and filter change on the right hand side
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

To see the specs of the oil, i have posted a link below.

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/search.php ... ams+oil+5l

It appears the diesel and petrol oils are different. Why not ring and national and ask to be sure?
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
deian

Post by deian »

Currently for living i operate pvc extrusion lines, and i'm 25, i have no problems with people who 'know' their job and passionate about the cars they like, i would be happy to pass a tricky job to someone who knows what they are doing, all i'm saying is i don't feel the need to pay a big chain company to change your oil when most people can do it themselves. as _kid_ pointed out, he's well into the DIY thing on cars now and finds immense satisfaction in the job.

I'm not as advanced as my cousin is about cars (how many people will strip a 4x4 system off a 405 Mi16x4 and put it on a 309? Or turbo a mark1 fiesta? But i've picked up a lot off him and feel i know enough to do most jobs on a car, again not all people have the right tools :cry:

as a matter of fact i will be visiting 'citroenxm' off this forum tomorrow, we will compare notes and have a little chat about citroen things, he mends citroens locally. So it'll be good to meet someone who knows his stuff.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

well - I stand corrected!

How on earth are they making any money on this offer??

Maybe relying on spotting other things that need doing?

or am I being cynical? :wink:
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Time taken: ten minutes using vacuum pipe down the dipstick hole. Oil price: Well under half what you pay. Filter price: ditto.
Total cost to them £8.
50p back on the old oil from the reprocessors
Profit: £9.50
I pay £2.50 for the filter and £6 for the oil. Doing the job myself takes 15 minutes the hard way and the local recyc takes the ullage. Seventeen quid
- Not bloody likely!
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

No doubt they get the oil for less than a quarter of what it'd cost in a 5 litre can from the factors.

Their labour rates will be pretty low-its fairly unskilled work-and the wages will probably be close to national minimum (ever wondered why everyone in kwik-fit appears to be either 17 or a member of the consescionaire's family...?)

Presumeably they use a sucker pipe to empty the sump as well, so if they do say 6 of these in an hour they will make money on them, especially as the fitter can continue with someone else's tyre change at the same time - I'd say its pretty profitable!!!
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I'm astonished! :shock:

Makes you wonder about the profit margins on a service at a franchised dealership.....
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Well someone has to pay for all that chrome'n'glass, not to mention the 'free' coffee.............\:D/
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

fastandfurryous wrote:
howiedean wrote:There are a few companies in the UK where you can buy cheap fully synthetic. I've used Ovoline in Lincoln and I used to buy FS oil at £12 for 4 litres.
But, for a garage to be able to actually do the oil change, and supply a filter too, all for £16 (or even £20) there's no way they're going to be using this oil.

It will be a super-cheap bought-by-the-barrel semi-synth, or a reasonable mineral oil. (also bought by the barrel, which is a lot cheaper than you can buy in shops)

I have to say though... I don't see the point in expensive semi- or fully-synthetic oils. I use a quality mineral oil, bought by the barrel for under £1 a litre, and change it every 5k miles, no matter what the car, or what the recommended interval is.

Far better to have clean oil, and a new filter more often than to have super-expensive oil that's full of deposits from being in the sump for 10k miles.

Plus, if you're under the car every 5k, you're more likely to spot if anything is wrong.
Here you go: kid beat me to it!!!

http://www.national.co.uk/products/products.html

and have a look here:

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle ... 80#6004326

It's all out there if you have a look. Having spoken to my local branch, I think it is a loss leader to get people through the door. I'm not bothered that they will try to tell me I need tyres, brakes or an exhaust as I don't have to listen. :twisted:

regards
Last edited by howiedean on 21 Apr 2006, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

i must add; i last used SHell semi-synth in my 306TD - and it was horrid , it used a litre of the stuff in 1000 miles.

Last oil change i used castrol GTD plus - and its the best thing i`ve ever found , used 1/2 litre in 4000 miles!
deian

Post by deian »

As seen on National Tyres website: products / oil & filter change:
A Change for the Better
Recent environmental legislation dictates that only a carrier registered with the environment agency can conduct the disposal of waste oil - effectively putting a stop to DIY oil changes.
:shock:

Won't stop me! Because I dispose of it in the local tip! Nothing wrong with that.[/quote]
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

deian wrote:My cup of tea...

Ok, so we may end up paying more for oil from halfords, but seriously now, paying a 'professional' to do an oil change?? C'mon guys, we all have good cars here, and we all know a bit about what we have (or we wouldn't be here right) and we share what we learn. So why pay someone else for the potential of making a mistake? Better do it yourself.

I'd never go to a professional if I can avoid it, to me, the only person good enough to do my car is myself because I will take more care of it.

Sometimes you have to go to a professional because they 'may' have more knowledge and the proper tools and facilities to do the job (i.e tyre changers, 4 post lifts, welders, diagnostic tools etc). But I believe any person can know just as much as the professionals, more if they're geeky enthusiast like many of us are here. Difference being the professionals have nice certificates, better tools, and get paid to make mistakes and con you for big parts. I don't trust trade mechanics at all. Better to do it yourself or if you know an enthusiast that does it by hobby.
I have to agree with you to some extent, but I can't even be bothered thinking about doing the job myself (oily hands, waste oil) when I can watch very closely some bloke do the same job.
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

...and pay handsomely for the privilege!

If a company advertises on the basis of a pack of lies "You cannot change your own oil," then why, for heaven's sake, are you stupid enough to read further?
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
deian

Post by deian »

Comedy value? 8)