National tyres Oil change offer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Garysz

National tyres Oil change offer

Post by Garysz »

National Tyres are doing an oil change and filter for £15 (+£1 for oil disposal). Only thing is the local depot in Winchester is proposing to do it with the same Duckhams oil as they did my petrol car, I now have an HDi diesel.

Do you really need diesel engine oil for diesel cars?
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

err yes you do - the oil for a diesel is different than for a petrol
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

HDI's have longer service intervals than older XUD engine's due to using different oil filters and fully synthetic oil, the choice is yours!
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Harlequin wrote:err yes you do - the oil for a diesel is different than for a petrol
I'd check the oil specs and as long as it's compatable then go for it.
I've used their fully synthetic oil in all of my current and previous cars and have had no problems. £20 for fully synthetic oil and filter change is very good, oh and you can change it more often as it's sooo cheap.

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
BonceChops
My Cars:

Re: National tyres Oil change offer

Post by BonceChops »

Garysz wrote:(+£1 for oil disposal)
I would not be surprised if the old oil was taken away for nothing
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

most moden oils are universal,even more so are the semi and fully synthetics,the only prob with going to any of the big tyre and exhaust centers for anything is they will more than likly tell you when you collect your car that they have checked it all through and found hundreds of pounds worth of work that needs doing,and your car is unsafe
regards malcolm
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Harlequin wrote:err yes you do - the oil for a diesel is different than for a petrol
Absolute rubbish mate, oil is oil as long as it meets the specs for your engine its fine, for an XUD 9 its CD 4 i think and most 10w 40 part synth meets this, They just make out that you need different oil for diesel cars so they can charge more for the oil, they add a couple of adatives and make out it justifys a big price hike!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Even "old fashion" pure mineral oils meets the spec for HDI's no problem. As it has done for diesel turbo's for long now.

Remember : no matter what kind/make/type/brand of oil you pour into the engine - it can not prevent combustion residues - as it does not do anything to the combustion process.
This means that your precious 5 star gold rated 0w50 hoppergrade synt oil carries as much residues - as does your standard mineral 10w40 oil - around in your engine.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: National tyres Oil change offer

Post by wheeler »

BonceChops wrote:
Garysz wrote:(+£1 for oil disposal)
I would not be surprised if the old oil was taken away for nothing
No chance,all garages must keep receipts & records of where the waste oil's go
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

There is no way that they are using fully synthetic at that price! (not that I'm advocating fully synthetic - semi synthetic works fine in my HDI!)

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Richard Gallagher wrote:HDI's have longer service intervals than older XUD engine's due to using different oil filters and fully synthetic oil, the choice is yours!
Really - I use Total Quartz 7000 Semi and do an oil & filter change every 6K for what it costs. (I buy the oil in bulk) works out at aboyt £12 per oil change. Money well spent IMHO :D
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

rabenson wrote:There is no way that they are using fully synthetic at that price! (not that I'm advocating fully synthetic - semi synthetic works fine in my HDI!)

Ron
Yes they do if you go for the £20 job. I can't remember the stuff they are using but I've checked before, although you might want to check that they do actually take the oil from the right barrel before putting it your car!!!

There are a few companies in the UK where you can buy cheap fully synthetic. I've used Ovoline in Lincoln and I used to buy FS oil at £12 for 4 litres.
Mobile 1 seems to be very overpriced when you look into it all you have to do is check the oil specs and compare.

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

howiedean wrote:There are a few companies in the UK where you can buy cheap fully synthetic. I've used Ovoline in Lincoln and I used to buy FS oil at £12 for 4 litres.
But, for a garage to be able to actually do the oil change, and supply a filter too, all for £16 (or even £20) there's no way they're going to be using this oil.

It will be a super-cheap bought-by-the-barrel semi-synth, or a reasonable mineral oil. (also bought by the barrel, which is a lot cheaper than you can buy in shops)

I have to say though... I don't see the point in expensive semi- or fully-synthetic oils. I use a quality mineral oil, bought by the barrel for under £1 a litre, and change it every 5k miles, no matter what the car, or what the recommended interval is.

Far better to have clean oil, and a new filter more often than to have super-expensive oil that's full of deposits from being in the sump for 10k miles.

Plus, if you're under the car every 5k, you're more likely to spot if anything is wrong.
This is not a signature.
deian

Post by deian »

My cup of tea...

Ok, so we may end up paying more for oil from halfords, but seriously now, paying a 'professional' to do an oil change?? C'mon guys, we all have good cars here, and we all know a bit about what we have (or we wouldn't be here right) and we share what we learn. So why pay someone else for the potential of making a mistake? Better do it yourself.

I'd never go to a professional if I can avoid it, to me, the only person good enough to do my car is myself because I will take more care of it.

Sometimes you have to go to a professional because they 'may' have more knowledge and the proper tools and facilities to do the job (i.e tyre changers, 4 post lifts, welders, diagnostic tools etc). But I believe any person can know just as much as the professionals, more if they're geeky enthusiast like many of us are here. Difference being the professionals have nice certificates, better tools, and get paid to make mistakes and con you for big parts. I don't trust trade mechanics at all. Better to do it yourself or if you know an enthusiast that does it by hobby.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Practice makes perfect and confidence.

My first 5k service on my zx took probably about 2 hours :oops:

I really had no previous experience working on my cars apart from a CV boot change on the ZX Reflex which i just assisted my mate :D

Now I can do a servcie on the Zx Temptation in less than 30 mins and so to the Xantia!!!!

Its cheaper doing it this way and gives a lot more satisfaction with a job well done.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(