Xantia has a stiffy...Part 2!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrchibbly

Xantia has a stiffy...Part 2!!

Post by mrchibbly »

Hello all, and thanks for all the replies I got to my last post.

(xantia 1.9 TDi 1994 soon to be scrapped if it doesn't behave!)

Well the saga continues........

I bought new spheres for the front, and I have read the many post relating to changing them......so I will do them if I decide I'm gonna keep the car.

As for the smoking........well now that the sun has come out, I have finally got around to looking over her......
I checked the diesel pump timing, well the position of the cam belt and pullies, and they were all fine.

The fuel lines are losing pressure somewhere, so I will find out where later, I think its from the loops between the injectors as they look a little damp!!

However...the thing that is causing me most concern is the inlet track is full of oil all the way back to the turbo!!!!
So, correct me if i'm wrong, but that turbo is dead??!!?? or can it be sorted......someone mentioned oil seals on here.......could that be the problem??...Thing is that confuses me, is that she doesn't smoke any worse on boost.
Any info is always welcome.
Cheers all
Mrchibbly
ps......I may consider scrapping this car if people are interested!!......however it seems a shame because it has just under a years MOT on it!!!!!
f00lzz
My Cars:

Re: Xantia has a stiffy...Part 2!!

Post by f00lzz »

mrchibbly wrote:However...the thing that is causing me most concern is the inlet track is full of oil all the way back to the turbo!!!!
So, correct me if i'm wrong, but that turbo is dead??!!?? or can it be sorted......someone mentioned oil seals on here.......could that be the problem??...Thing is that confuses me, is that she doesn't smoke any worse on boost.
I think that is 'normal' mine certainly does it and the turbo definately hasn't died. Wouldn't worry if I were you.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
mrchibbly

Post by mrchibbly »

oh yeah...PPS........
if it does need a new turbo....what other french cars run with the same turbo, could i get one off a Pug 405/406 for example??

cheers

mrchibbly
mrchibbly

Post by mrchibbly »

:D :) :D :) PPPS.......i've just found a second hand turbo from a xantia of the same year as mine, from a running car for £25 (i have to take it off!!) is this a good price, how long will it take to take it off, and will i really need it or can i fix mine??
cheers
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Whats to fix?????
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
mrchibbly

Post by mrchibbly »

whats to fix??

Well the turbo if possible...........surely the air supply pipes and the intercooler shouldn't be full of oil!!!!!!!
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Ok fine.. ](*,)
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The breather from the crank case goes into the inlet tract, that tends to contain oil mist. The oil tends to get separted from the air when it goes through the turbo (being spun around tends to do that, like a centrifuge) so the oil can appear to be worse after the turbo even though the oil isn't leeaking past its seals. If the engine was smoky at idle or burned significant amounts of oil you'd have cause to concern, as long as it doesn't smoke too much, doesn't burn oil and pulls well can't be a lot wrong.
mrchibbly

Post by mrchibbly »

Thats why I put.......
and as for the smoking.....

It smokes like a chimney.......on boost off boost and at idle.

So I guess the turbo is dead, or can it be fixed?? Can new seals be fitted or do I get a new one?](*,)