Hydrualic Leak!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonesy
My Cars:

Hydrualic Leak!!!!

Post by Jonesy »

I've just discovered my BX GTI has a leak coming from below the front height corrector, presumably from a return pipe. It doesnt look like its from the height corrector and its not under a great deal of pressure, just a constant drip. It seems that their are several pipes here that run across the front subframe of the vehicle. Has anyone any ideas how easy this is to fix??
Any advice much appreciated.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Sounds as though it's one of the return pipes in the octopus, probably the connection from the height corrector. If the octopus hasn't been changed from new, by now the rubber will have become brittle and developed a crack. Probably best to renew. A new one from Andyspares is around £22.
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

Thanks John, do you know how long it takes to fit a new octopus? Is it a major job?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you go to the Japanese site at www.bx.citroen.org and click on the English version, you'll find diagrams and pictures of all the hydraulic pipework. You need to identify whether the leak is from the octopus or the operational return. After I replaced my octopus, three months later I had to do the operational return. It would have paid me to do them all at the same time. Although the site suggests removing the o/s driveshaft to gain access, you can instead remove the top engine mount and raise the engine to maximum height. Remove one pipe at a time, tie a string to it, pull it through into the engine bay, tie the string to the new pipe and pull it back into place.