hdi rattling under load

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davkirk
My Cars:

hdi rattling under load

Post by davkirk »

i have a 2000 model hdi with a rattle between 2000-3000 rpm when accelerating, seems to quieten as the engine gets warmer, someone has suggested the crank pulley, can this cause a rattling sound under load?
thanks,
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Had same thing with my hdi Xsara, changed pulley about 12 months ago and the noise is still there. Just a characteristic of the engine in my opinion (has been said to be caused by 'leaky' injectors). Pulley is worth changing for piece of mind though if youve got a few miles on clock. Will only cost 20quid to get a local mechanic to shove it on for you. I couldnt nudge the bolt at all :-(
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its a mechanical 'knock' it will tend to get quieter under load, its probably just combustion noise. Leaky injectors is a possibility, if you have ever heard an idi engine with an injector nozzle stuck open, it sounds like a severe big end failure!
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Ive got a 2000 hdi , my crankpulley went . It started making a noise as you describe ,between 2000-3000 revs quite nosiy ,but as you drive the revs up , noise went . below these nothing , my one went at about 84-88000 miles .Got it changed back to normal. See if any metal is laying ontop of the engine or down where air compressor/alternator is . I found half of metal band just laying on the units . I thinks i was lucky
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
davkirk
My Cars:

Post by davkirk »

hi all, i've changed the crankshaft pulley but to no avil i'm afraid :cry: the noise is still there, does anyone recommend changing the injectors or could it be just normal engine noise as someone stated, it has now done 110,000 miles, it does seem to get quieter as the engine gets warm,
thanks,
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Injectors are a fortune on a HDi, I would just leave as is,.....
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
Nutcase
My Cars:

Post by Nutcase »

Hi,

Another possibility to explore is worn brake pads! Changing the pads cured similar symptoms on mine which sounded like vibration/chattering from bearings. The pads were only about half worn, but it seems some calipers/hubs can be prone to this (I have heard previously that there was some sort of Citroen fix for the same problem on some Xantias). I was convinced the vibration under load was the herald of some expensive repairs in the offing, but chuffed when it disappeared with new set of pads! (symtoms starting again on mine now, so will be renewing pads soon even if not worn out.
Hope you get sorted,
Greg