power steering pump??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marco1
My Cars:

power steering pump??

Post by marco1 »

hi further to my droning going round corners..xantia 2.0 16v five year old 98.000 miler is it possible it could be power steering pump /rack??? been to citroen ...didnt know, done both wheel bearings still doing it.stright line its fine just when you go left or right..any ideas??
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Have you considered CV joints - but that would be more a clicking rather than droning.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If it were anything to do with the pump you would expect to get the noise when stationary aswell, also the suspension/brakes are powered by the same pump so even more reason for it to show up during differing conditions.
Could it be the rear wheel bearings.
Have fronts been fitted without damaging them, driven in using the inner race, is a new bearing faulty, it would only need a bit of swarf in it.
Drive shaft intermediate bearing.
Tyre tread pattern.
Is it road speed related, if it is then you have to concentrate on something to do with the wheels, driveshaft, brakes, anything that rotates commensurate with road speed.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

How have you tested the front wheel bearings? I had a similar problem on an XJ6 many years ago - noise from front on sharpish corners and roundabouts and tested it in every way I could think of. Eventually decided that there was nothing else it could be and replaced the bearings. I think the inner race had failed.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Sounds like the intermediate bearing on the right hand drive shaft. It's about the only thing left that can "drone" in accordance with road speed now that you've changed both front wheel bearings.
//NiSk
marco1
My Cars:

Post by marco1 »

hi i think it could after all be rear wheel went to dump other day, back seats down seemed to be coming from near side rear...doh..ill try in spring to cold now...