BX auto gearbox specs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

velosolex

BX auto gearbox specs

Post by velosolex »

I am thinking about using an auto box from a 89 19trs petrol in a
92 19tgd manual diesel.(Sad or what?) I believe it will physically fit, the final drive ratios are similar, but I dont know about the gearchange speeds. Presumably they are different on the petrol & diesel versions, but does anyone know how easy it would be to adjust? Any info gratefully recieved
Huw
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Could be a bit more than just suitability to worry about. Often in previous models (CX I know for sure) there are differences in driveshafts between auto, manual, 5 speed, 4 speed, c-matic, so I would imagine the same would hold true in this case also.
Another point is, will the bolt holes on the bellhousing line up with those on a tranny from a different engine and how about mounts?
Gear ratios are something that need watching extremely closely.
I once drove an Isuzu people mover that had been fitted with a diesel engine and 5 speed gearbox coupled to a petrol diff. I couldn't even drive on a flat road in top gear due to the torque being too low at those revs but she certainly went well downhill....just my thoughts.
Alan S
velosolex

Post by velosolex »

Thanks Alan. I was told by a local citroen mechanic that the box would go in and the driveshafts were the same, but of course sods law often operates in these cases, and one cant be sure it was exactly the same model etc. Overall gearing of the diesel manual and the petrol auto seem to be very similar, about 25mph/1000rpm.Im prepared to try it, but it would be a shame to miss out on adjusting the gearchange speeds if needed.
Huw
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Huw,
FWIW, I have a feeling that a similar question was asked on one of the Yahoo lists a short while ago; either BX-L list or CitroenBX by a guy in Europe. In that case I think it was a case that he was wanting to convert a BX 16V to an Auto which is somewhat sacreligious I thought but he was auto crazy & was more than happy to do it.
Could be worth signing up to those lists and going through the archives or asking the question there.
It's the type of interesting project I'd like to wish I had the resources to try. Good luck with it & keep us informed.
Alan S