I did it! Quick Q

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

I did it! Quick Q

Post by deian »

I changed the accumulator sphere! I made a mess too, it came weeing out first time i started the engine, the seal i had with the new one was the round type, so i took the old square type one of the old sphere and used that instead!

So how many time do i need to open the bleed valve, i open and close over and over and over and it still hisses! i do it as the suspension is on the way up, up and down, up and down, up and down, open close, open close, still hiss hiss hiss!

Thanks
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You will allways hear a hissing sound when the release screw is opened provided the sphere is in good shape, its the hydraulic oil making the noise as it is forced through a small opening at very high pressure.

If there is air present in the sphere when the release screw is opened you will hear a popping sound, that is the air rapidly expanding as it is expelled.

Dave
deian

Post by deian »

so no air? haven't even heard the regulator clicking yet, so it must be good :D
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What bleed valve ? there is no bleed valve on the system ?

If you mean that 12mm head pressure relief screw on the PR just next to the sphere - then thats what is is : a pressure relief screw for service works on the system to relieve the system pressure. Its NOT (and was never intended to be) a bleed valve. You may bleed yourself to death - it wont do you any good.

You are not supposed to do anything, bleed anything or adjust anything - once the accumulator sphere is replaced.
You MAY however need to loosen the pressure relief screw to relieve the system resistance seen from the pump - to aid the pump start sucking again.

BTW : who supplied you with that crappy O-ring ? You certainly did right re-using the old square section seal.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

I bought the sphere from a local place, they have a good repuation for having good prices and mostly genuine or quailty items, of course i will go to GSF next time for sure!

Yes the O-ring was very crap, o could have done a better one myself by rolling a few elastic bands in some glue to keep the shape. I know you're not really supposed to re-use o-rings, but using the 'new' one gave disasterous results! I had LHM ALL over the drive, as it 'urinated' out very fast! so i had to empty my bottle of 1 litre lhm to top it up.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The proper sphere seal is a square section rubber type ring. A large 'O' ring is not a proper part. Are you using re-gassed spheres?
jeremy
deian

Post by deian »

yes, it is a reconditioned unit
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what ever seal you use you must allways run some LHM around the surface of the seal to lubricate it so you do not damage it when fitting the sphere,also even when im supplied with a new seal with AMTEC spheres i still use the old one,as the new one is a lot softer rubber the genuine seals
regards malcolm
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Yeah,

If you have the choice between reusing the original square section seal, and a newly supplied round section one, I'd use the square section seal every time.

It's only a precaution that Citroen recommends replacing the seals with every sphere change (in other words, covering their asses) - in fact the square type last a very long time, and as long as you give them a dip in LHM before fitting and are careful not to pinch them (fit them in the recess in the cylinder, not over the neck of the sphere) and they look ok, you can reuse them as many times as you want...

I've reused those types of seals many times over the years and I've never had a single one leak.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive