Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sue

Xantia

Post by sue »

Hi Guys!thanks for all the advice regarding the BX clutch.Got another query if anyone can help.At the leisure centre where I go,there's an abandoned Xantia,no tax,flat tyres etc,but basically good condition,does anyone know how I go about finding out who it belongs to?I tried the council,but they just said any abandoned cars are towed away(not very helpful).Any advice please.Thanks.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Police or DVLC, though they are more likely to want to make contact with the owner than tell you who they are, it may even have been stolen before being abandoned.
Dave
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Hi
The Police won't and can't tell you. Data protection and all that. All they're allowed to say is, "This car is/not of interest to us." ie It is/not stolen. This is a force policy and changes by county. DVLA used to tell you who the registered keeper is for a fee. I'm not sure if they still do. I couldn't find it on a quick search of their web-site. Phone your local office and ask.
Remember if the council tow it away they want to pass the cost on to the owner, so try and avoid becoming the owner until you're sure you want the car.
Hope this helps
Jamie
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Compleeeecated! If the leisure centre is privately-owned, the chances are that neither the police nor the council will be willing do do anything about the dumped car, even if it's still got its plates on and everyone knows who owns it. The leisure centre's owners are probably going barmy trying to get it shifted.
How do I know? Don't even ask. We had a dumped car up the privately-owned lane that runs past our house, and even though the police agreed that they knew the owner (and so did everybody else, actually), they refused to touch it even after the local kids had started smashing it about. The council won't tow away if it's not on the public road, and all the landowner can do is launch a lengthy civil court proceedings against the owner for trespass. Which takes months.
In the end, the community got fed up with waiting for the kiddies to come back and torch the car, and one night Persons Unknown slipped the handbrake and rolled the car back onto the public road a couple of hundred yards away. (An offence, of course, because it was technically an act of theft against the person who dumpoed the car.)Then they called the council, which obediently turned up and stickered and removed the car.
This is an area of law which badly needs updating, because it turns ordinary honest citizens into criminals as soon as they try to protect their community. Despite appearances, the Xantia's a can of worms. Don't touch it!
Mike