Citroen Xantia clutch cable recognition

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RoadkillUK
My Cars:

Citroen Xantia clutch cable recognition

Post by RoadkillUK »

Morning all, My clutch cable has a lot of free travel and I'd like to replace it. Only thing is that I don't know if it has an auto or manual adjuster, which is the best way to tell?

Am I right in thinking that the manual adjuster has a threaded end to the cable (the gearbox end) with a nut on for adjustment and the auto adjusting cable has a fixed end?

My Xantia has a cable with a fixed end but the chap at GSF says it's not an auto adjusting one.

Your help is appreciated, thanks.
Roadkill
http://www.bradford7.co.uk

Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000X)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it's got no threaded part on the end it's an auto adjust cable. What engine have you got? Bear in mind that the pedal is supposed to be quite high relative to the brake pedal. If you mean lots of travel in the pedal, and then it comes in near the bottom, then you might be looking at replacing the clutch , not just the cable....
Richard W
RoadkillUK
My Cars:

Post by RoadkillUK »

Hi, sorry for the little info in the first message, it was first thing in the morning for me :)

OK, the car is Xantia 1.9TD 'R' reg '98 new shape.

There is so much play that I can remove the cable from the release arm with 2 fingers. Approx 40mm play at the pedal end before the cable tightens, if you follow me :)

I know what you mean about the clutch itself may be on it's way out, but it's not gone yet, no slip so I'll just change the cable for now :)

Thanks again.
Roadkill

Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000X)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ah, sounds like the auto adjuster has packed up then. A TD of course uses the pull clutch, so when it's worn it comes in at the top rather than the bottom.....!

There's a recent thread about changing the clutch cable - although I think the Mk11 is much easier to get to the end of the cable than a Mk1
Richard W
RoadkillUK
My Cars:

Post by RoadkillUK »

Thanks, I've been reading the threads about changing the clutch cable and it sounds like a b*tch of a job. Not too bothered though as I'm not afraid of a little work. The drivers seat needs taking out anyway as it needs tidying up at the back as the cover has come loose.

I'll get the auto adjusting cable on the way home tonight and I'll do the deed over the bank holiday weekend (and I have the following week off work :lol: )
Roadkill

Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000X)