Xantia Mileage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Xantia Mileage

Post by Quackers »

I'm after a Turbo D Xantia to run along side my guzzler, the Activa Xantia.

I saw one today, looked nice, R Reg, SX, Aircon, but it had 160.000 miles on the clock. I just had visions of the clutch going. My friends Xantia Turbo D clutch went at 166,000 miles, and my SX 2.0i Petrol Xantia clutch on my old car went at 156,000 miles.

If it was not for that i would have bought it, do you think i was wise? It had no service history and high milage hence £450.

Is there anyway to tell if the clutch is on its way out? Also i have never had a Turbo D before, anything else to look out for when buying one?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The obvious : the clutch slipping when you floor the pedal at medium rpm (2200 +) in high gear. This is the friction plate worn out or contaminated with oil for longish.

The mystery heavy clutch pedal : pedal is generally heavy and sometimes has a "heavier point" to overcome. The release bearing has grooved into the finger springs and will soon break through = pedal bottoms out no clutch function.

The pedal height over the carpetting has nothing to do with this. This can be adjusted at the clutch end - or in case of auto adjust cable - cable be replaced. Note the clutch pedal is (should be) considerable higher than the 2 other pedals. Must be at some 140mm above carpets.

Look for any service history. Clutch may already have been replaced :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The Xantia TD clutch is an oddity, because it is a pull type. If worn it will tend to come in right at the top of the travel, and be heavy - obviously if really worn it may slip.... be cautious of anything that has a clutch pedal that is intially easy, then heavy, coming in near the top of the heavy part - the cable has been adjusted to take the biting point away from the top of the travel.

The other main weak points are headgaskets and heater matricies.
Richard W
joelataxi

Re: Xantia Mileage

Post by joelataxi »

Quackers wrote:I'm after a Turbo D Xantia to run along side my guzzler, the Activa Xantia.

I saw one today, looked nice, R Reg, SX, Aircon, but it had 160.000 miles on the clock. I just had visions of the clutch going. My friends Xantia Turbo D clutch went at 166,000 miles, and my SX 2.0i Petrol Xantia clutch on my old car went at 156,000 miles.

If it was not for that i would have bought it, do you think i was wise? It had no service history and high milage hence £450.

Is there anyway to tell if the clutch is on its way out? Also i have never had a Turbo D before, anything else to look out for when buying one?
be cheeky and offer £400 for it, even if you do end up having a clutch and you kept it for a year then weighed it in, it would be less than £15 a week........................bargain :D
Current Xantias
1996 LX 1.8 16v ..........breaking
1999 HDI 110 exclusive 206k + counting
2000 HDI 110 LX 86K
2000 Dual fuel 1.8i 16v 188k....resting
1997 vsx 1.9td estate 147k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

At that mileage I would be more worried about the head gasket going - unless its allready had one.
paulbx
My Cars:

clutch test

Post by paulbx »

A test for a slipping or soom to be slipping (worn out ) clutch is:

1. park the car with plenty of sapce to car in front

2. Push the clutch down and put the car in 4th

3. Put teh seat belt on (you might bang your head on the windscreen)

4. Pick up the clutch and depress the accelerator as if you were taking off normally in 1st

Results

a) Car violently shudders and quickly stalls - good clutch

b) Car slowly and gracefull stalls - bad clutch

PaulB
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: clutch test

Post by Kowalski »

paulbx wrote:A test for a slipping or soom to be slipping (worn out ) clutch is:

1. park the car with plenty of sapce to car in front

2. Push the clutch down and put the car in 4th

3. Put teh seat belt on (you might bang your head on the windscreen)

4. Pick up the clutch and depress the accelerator as if you were taking off normally in 1st

Results

a) Car violently shudders and quickly stalls - good clutch

b) Car slowly and gracefull stalls - bad clutch

PaulB
If you do this, be careful about how much accelarator you use, and how sharply to release the clutch. If you are too heavy handed you will break something, gearbox and clutch are most likely.
Last edited by Kowalski on 14 Apr 2006, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As Anders says, clutch wear may not be apparant until the engine is at maximum torque and full load, at around 2,000 rpm, but a clutch that slips under those conditions can last many more miles if not allowed to slip. My last XM went on for a year or more (15-20K) and was still driving OK when I sold it. And yes, I did tell them it was slipping!
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Re the TD estate, ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1
new clutch+cambelt 30k ago.
(yes it's mine, but there's no harm trying, is there?) :wink:
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
paulbx
My Cars:

Clutch test addenum

Post by paulbx »

Kowalski is correct - only use normal accelerationas if you were taking off under normal conditions in 1st
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate