Replacement windscreen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red5
My Cars:

Replacement windscreen

Post by red5 »

I have just had my windscreen replaced and I noticed the scuttleboard under the wiper arms was originaly stuck to the screen. When they fitted the new screen they just placed the scuttleboard on the windscreen and the only thing holding it now are the two wiper arms and two plastic plugs. Should I stick the board to the screen or is it not needed. I ought to mention this is on a 1997 Xantia
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Citroen Windscreens...or at least the zx and the Xantia from my knowledge (certainly the Xantia as I've gone through one myself, not literally :lol:) are bonded.

Which means the repair should have also incuded the new windscreen being bonded in place like mine was....as soon as i said it was a xantia he informed me that it will need to be bonded which i already knew.

Not sure if ive answered your question or indeed just been talking rubbish for the past minute...im sure i will be told shortly :P
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not sure if ive answered your question
Not really 8)
or indeed just been talking rubbish for the past minute...
Not rubbish per se, just not terribly relevant.... :lol:
im sure i will be told shortly
Indeed :D

The plastic scuttle panel must be bonded to the windscreen - if it isn't the water runs under it and straight into the car. Take it back and get them to do it properly. Oh, and check they've fitted a tinted screen as well - if not, complain bitterly, and try to get them to take it out and fit a proper tinted one (I ended up with a non-tinted one on my previous Xantia - surprising how much difference it makes on a bright day).
Richard W
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

:cry:
red5
My Cars:

Post by red5 »

Thanks for replies

Well at least they fitted a tinted windscreen, I thought he might break the original scuttle board when he took it off as it was cracked in several places and I knew it was bonded to the screen, I bought a second hand one so he wouldnt have to worry about breaking the old one. I will give them a ring and get them to complete the job correctly (national Comapany)

Thanks for the info
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

No Problem.....I always like to keep my information informative and relevant 8)
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

yep the plastic trim must be bonded to the screen, mine had a new screen fitted when i bought it and i woke up one morning to find a swimming pool in the passenger footwell, i just ran a bead of clear silicone around the edge and it's been ok since :D
red5
My Cars:

Post by red5 »

As it happens they have to remove the whole screen and replace it again as they had fitted the thing incorectly, it isnt square and the top corner is not level with the roof, this along with the fact the scuttleboard was not sealed makes me real confident for the refit :)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

red5 wrote:As it happens they have to remove the whole screen and replace it again as they had fitted the thing incorrectly
There's a surprise. (not).

It does amuse me when people claim they can do things better because they are "professionals"

No, that simply means you get paid for making a cock-up of your work.
This is not a signature.
reddeathdrinker

Post by reddeathdrinker »

When I got my windscreen done (only £60 thanks to my insurance!), I took the chance to clear out under the scuttle, cleared out all the dead leaves and rubbish that had accumulated, while the bloke was prepping the new screen. Typically though, 2 months later, my missus stuffed my Xant into the back of another car, writing it off.....

But, yes, it should be bonded.
'96 Xantia 2.0i 16v SX Estate
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

red5 wrote:As it happens they have to remove the whole screen and replace it again as they had fitted the thing incorectly, it isnt square and the top corner is not level with the roof, this along with the fact the scuttleboard was not sealed makes me real confident for the refit :)
I wonder what well known company we are talking about :wink:

I bet its the same one I had a big row with & reported to my insurance company :D

The reason why was because they wouldn't fit a genuine Peugeot screen to my 405.

A new screen to me from Peugeot would have been £93 + VAT & the cost to fit, This windscreen company insisted it would be over £500 to do that job.

Anyway after talking to my insurance company they put me in touch with there other windscreen people RAC Autowindscreens, I spoke to a guy there who took my VIN number & rang me back 10 minutes later & said " Bring it down saturday morning & ill fit you a genuine Peugeot screen for you "

So I got a genuine Peugeot screen fitted for the £50 excess & they didn't damage my car or not fit the screen correctly like the other company did on a previous experience I had with them.