ABS light on and sensors 2001 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Garysz

ABS light on and sensors 2001 Xantia

Post by Garysz »

ABS light is on. Tests show it to be 'NSF' sensor. I'm presuming this is the front wheel on the passenger side?

Went to the local scrapyard and obtained a couple of sensors from an R reg Xantia. Got home only to find that the body of the sensor is longer than those fitted. Is there a work around?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: ABS light on and sensors 2001 Xantia

Post by Mandrake »

Garysz wrote:ABS light is on. Tests show it to be 'NSF' sensor. I'm presuming this is the front wheel on the passenger side?

Went to the local scrapyard and obtained a couple of sensors from an R reg Xantia. Got home only to find that the body of the sensor is longer than those fitted. Is there a work around?
No,

There are two types of ABS sensor, before 1995 and 1995 onwards, and they are a different lenght. There may be additional variations in sensor after 1997 as my data doesn't go beyond that. Sorry. You'll have to go back hunting in the scrapyard for a closer year to your car! :?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've heard that you can shim the newer sensors with washers, so that they can be used on older cars, I'm not sure whether it is actually true or not...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Looking at the PR-net drawings it appears that Kowalski may have a good point there :wink:
Spacers may be obtained from a cheapo assorted set of plumbing alu + cu rings. Usually available at some 3-5 quid from tool stores etc.

Note that the mounting screw must be longer accordingly.

Remember the heat shields protecting the sensors from the very hot brakes discs :idea:
These are available cheaply from Citroen.

I'm a bit astonished you were able to save these sensors from breakers cars ? Usually they crumble if you try remove them - or are just as bad as the ones you've got.
Before fitting - check with an ohm meter. They should be some 1000 ohms. Dont go be any insane detailed ohmic data on the sensor. The way you are checking it with a home hobby meter can not be super precise.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Garysz

Post by Garysz »

I don't have a working ohm meter so I will try and fit with the packers.

Should the sensor end with the magnets touch the hub or be slightly above it?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Garysz wrote:I don't have a working ohm meter so I will try and fit with the packers.

Yes there MUST be a clearance (usually just 1-2mm ish, check Haynes manual for exact measurement) otherwise the sensor will be destroyed. The sensors work by way of magnetic fields.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Richard Gallagher wrote:
Garysz wrote:I don't have a working ohm meter so I will try and fit with the packers.

Yes there MUST be a clearance (usually just 1-2mm ish, check Haynes manual for exact measurement) otherwise the sensor will be destroyed. The sensors work by way of magnetic fields.
If you buy a brand new sensor ( cheap enough now ) it should come with a sticker on the end.

That sticker is used to set the airgap :wink:

Get the airgap wrong & the ABS light will stay on & report a fault.