xantia has a stiffy!! + other problems!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrchibbly

xantia has a stiffy!! + other problems!!

Post by mrchibbly »

Hi all
I'm a newbie here so be gentle with me.
I have some mechanical knowledge but the citroen suspension and diesel engines confuse me.........so here goes.......
I have just bought a xantia 1994 turbo diesel, and it has the following problems......
The front suspension is rock hard. I thought that the front end may be seized because the car has been sitting for 2 months, however, I selected the high( wheel change position) on the selector lever inside the car and up she went.
So i selected the low (de-pressurise.....Slammed) position and down she went.......But when I select either of the middle positions it raises up or drops down to a position higher than usual and the front is as hard as a rock......
Any ideas why?? What type of suspension is this?? hydractive/2 ??
Also.......it smokes, it smokes bad.....it smokes white.
I have checked the oil filler ( no excessive blowing) I checked the expansion chamber ( no bubbles) and no mixed coolant with the oil in either.
She runs a bit lumpy, and lacks power, but i thought I would take a chance.......so I drove it home (35 miles).......the temperature stayed fine, the turbo pulled hard with no additional excessive smoke being produced on boost, she used no oil or water so I am a little confused.........i thought tha head gasket had gone!!
Any of you guys or girls have any idea what is wrong with my new purchase??
Hope you can help.!!!
Thanks in advance
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Sounds as if the front spheres need to be replaced almost for certainty, you should have these both replaced at the same time. From GSF they are £18.65 +VAT +P&P (£4), the mail service is very good.

Since your that end aswell, the Accumulator sphere at the front produces a 'clicking' sound, these clicks are frequent when changing the height of the car and they calm down when stabilising has finished. What is the frequency of the ticks after the car has settled...anything less than 1 tick every 30 secs seems to warrant a replacement, these are the same cost as the spheres but slightly more trickier to remove, you should be able to replace the front spheres yourself fairly easily.

Regarding what type of suspension you have I believe this is quite easy to determine...basically do you have a button near the height control lever and gear stick area....if you dont then you have standard suspension....94' I believe also came with the anti-sink which would mean you have 6 spheres in total.

2 Front Wheel Spheres
2 Rear Wheel Spheres
1 Accumulator Sphere (Front End)
1 Anti Sink Sphere (Rear End)

If it has the button then you have a few more spheres :roll:

Regarding the smoking, it may well be best to do a cheap quick service (only about 30minute job at about £30) Oil Change, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter & Pollen Filter if its got A/C (AirCon)...the experts should be able to help you regarding the actual problem with the white smoke.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
mrchibbly

Post by mrchibbly »

wow thanks for the super fast reply.
I had resigned myself to buying new spheres for the front, having read loads of posts on here, but thanks for confirming that.

As for the smoking, the car was serviced less than 200 miles ago (according to previous keeper) and the glow plugs changed at that time too. I will confirm this to be true by giving her a once over!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its running lumpy and smoking only when cold, its probably down on compression on one cylinder, if its only when you start it, it could be one or more glow plugs need replacing. As far as the suspension is concerned, I would agree with mezuk.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If its a case that the glowplugs have only just been replaced very recently and you are sure that they are working....as in....it starts straight away without problems.

Regarding the smoking....I would agree with Peter....my BIL's zx td started doing this and it was pretty much confirmed on here that it would be down to the cyclinders....smoked a heck of a lot at start up and continued until he started driving....doesnt matter though as its gone to the insurers after a 4x4 rear end shunt :lol:

To be honest, glad to see the back of it....although he hardly had it long :oops:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Just a thought - is the front end either all the way up or all the way down?
Nothing to do with the 10,000 men, could there be a problem with the front height adjuster / linkage / set up?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
mrchibbly

Post by mrchibbly »

hi all, thanks for the replies.
The suspension seems to be half to three quaters up and solid.
I have just bought two speres for it so I will put them on and see if that sorts it....if it doesn't i will be open to further sudgestions!!

As for the smoking...........
It is a pig to start, and smokes all the time......at idle, driving, under boost etc etc.......AH it also idles at 2000 rpm hot or cold.
I am going to check all the fuel and return lines as well as all joints etc to make sure there are no air leaks. Then I intend to check the intake and associated pipework for filth, or blockages.............i hope it's something simple!!
If not I will check compression, but....is it easy to buy a compression tester for a diesel???? The petrol ones are readily available but I haven't seen one for a diesel!! Or is the cost of the tester high and therefore should be taken to a workshop who has this equipment?
cheers for all your help.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes you do need a special compression tester for a diesel, firstly because the pressure is much higher and for that reason it needs to be clamped into the injector holes. If its running lumpy all the time and the smoke increases when its ticking over, that will be low compression. Probably due to the valve clearances having been lost. You can reset them in situ but it means removing the camshaft and its a fiddly job.

Just a thought, I suppose someone hasn't fitted a new cam belt and got the pump timing out?

As far as the suspension goes, I am pretty confident that new spheres willl fix it.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yeah, my money's on the cam belt timing being a tooth (or more!) out.
Richard W
mrchibbly

Post by mrchibbly »

hi all

the comments i'm getting about the cam belt are interesting, however they raise a question or two.

The previous keeper claims that the cambelt was changed a couple of months ago, and she also claims that the car was running fine until a few days after it was serviced......then it started spluttering and kicking out smoke.

Question 1 .......if the belt was put on incorrectly, surely this problem would have showed itself straight away, and not appeared and got worse with time.??!!??

Question 2 .......would this not affect the way the car runs?? as when she is going...lets say 60mph 5th gear.....there are no splutters...pulls up through the gears with no splutters either!

I know I seem to be pinning a lot of my ideas on what the previous owner has told me about the car.........But she is a vicar (serious....even says rev on the log book!!) so I don't think she would be telling me a pack of lies and stitching me up with an old bucket of bolts!!

I also have a question about the sudgestion that it may be down on compression.......Where is the pressure going?? as I said i removed the oil filler and it isn't blowing from there ........ so could it really be down on compresssion?......unless its blowing past an exhaust valve....hhmmmm guess i answered that one myself LOL
mrchibbly

Post by mrchibbly »

Reset the valve clearances??..........are they just shimmed up??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

To narrow in on the smoke & lump run problem we must be certain what kind of smoke you've got.

You've already classified the smoke as white - and it coming under all conditions : start, drive, cold & hot.

What is the smell like of the smoke ?
Try hold a rag against the exhaust pipe to collect condensed smoke. Its VERY easy and quick then to determine the origin of the smoke.

White smoke from a diesel have these causes (most common first) :
1) unburnt (evapourated) diesel fuel
2) unburnt (evapourated) engine oil from exhaust part of engine
3) coolant leak

1) is likely to be caused by air in the fuel system - or a timing offset
2) is likely to be a failing turbo (hot side) oil seal
3) a crack in the cylinder head

If the smoke is fuel, you have an idle of 2000rpm - and engine is a hard starter - then you have in fact a timing problem as the most likely cause.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mrchibbly

Post by mrchibbly »

hi all
thanks for all the replies, they have given me options on which to work on......
i will (over the next few days) check all the fuel lines....intake...and cam belt/diesel pump position............i take it that you set it to TDC and make sure the marks line up??!!?? after making sure you havent got it 180 degrees out?

Is it easy to see??...are the marks visable and cover easy to remove??
Unfortunatly I don't have a haynes manual for it yet!!

Thanks again

I will keep you posted with my progress.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The timing is controlled by inserting lock pins on all 3 axles. Matching holes are found on each axis. 8mm dowels (or drillbits) should fit snugly - but even a couple of fairly long 8mm bolts would do the job way better than 1 cogg on the belt.

Not sure - but I think you have a hidden flywheel lock hole down under the starter motor. Used to be there on all PSA engines. But very hard to access (to say the least :roll: )

- And no its not necessarily at engine TDC :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
keithwalton

Post by keithwalton »

suspension sounds exactly the same as i've just had on my xant (95 turbo d) replacing both front spheres sorted it (its recomended to change them as a pair and even come like that from eurocar parts)
be carefull though as somthing i wasnt warned off, a failed sphere fills with lhm, its stores there at high pressure (hence the lack of movement in the suspension) when you remove the sphere it will discharge and go absolutly everywhere.
The haynes mentions abit of spillage and i was ready for the odd drip, not quite the deluge of the stuff!

As for the lumpyness / smoke, when my dad originally got the car it belched out quite alot of smoke on startup, a new set of glow plugs soon sorted that. If its been sat around for a while, it could do with a good old fashioned thrashing. If i leave mine sat around for a week or so on first start up it'll belch out quite abit of smoke before rapidly settling down. Could probably also do with a new air / fuel filter as a routine change really.

I also found abit of injector cleaner made mine feel quite abit more alive / responsive.
Oh and my car does not have anti sink (or its broken!) and its a late '95 model. it quite happily moves around its position once engine is off and then unloaded. it also has a tendancy to fart :P shorlty after when 3/4 people have been in the car (it will rise up as people get out, then make a farting like noise and drop down to vagely normal height)