Front End suspension rattle/groan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Carproamer
My Cars:

Front End suspension rattle/groan

Post by Carproamer »

Hi, Hopefully someone on this site might be able to "shed some light"on my problem.
I have a 1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0.Hdi (110) which has done less than 37k and has always been serviced, the problem is a rattle on the front when going over less then good road surfaces.
My garage has had the car in on more than one occasion but the story is the same, they cannot find anything worn or wrong, the droplinks were changed at 36k which stopped most of the chatter/rattle on acceleration but some of the noise has come back to the extent that it has become really annoying.
Once the car has got going on ordinary roads or motorway there is not a problem except that the steering then tends to go very light or as I call it directional at the slightest touch,tyres have also been replaced with the same brand, Michelin tyres which did not make the slightest difference.
So anyone who can shed some light on this,their comments will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Micky
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The front end rattle over poor road surfaces is most likely to be cheap droplinks worn out again, or a droplink nut not being tight. It could also be worn bushes, but I doubt that at your mileage.

as for the drifty steering at speed.... assuming that all the bushes are good and the balljoints are tight.... is the tracking off?
This is not a signature.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I would whip the wheels off and inject some grease into the rubbers on the anti-roll link bars...if the problem continues it might be because a lot of crap has already gotten in their so you may just need replacing again, some have been known to fail very quickly so if replacements are due i would inject grease into them also.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(