Fans again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robbie

Fans again

Post by Robbie »

I have a new radiator in my Xantia 1.9 td but I'm still having problems with the fans not coming on when I feel they should be. When I press the aircon button in the car the fans do not operate and I'm told they should, thier not siezed, I can spin them freely by hand. I checked the fuse box in the engine compartment and although I don't know which fuse it should be I didn't see a problem with any of them. The car is fine just driving around by I'm worried everytime I get into heavy traffic now as the temperture starts going up. Is thier anything I can try to rectify the problem, remember I'm not really mecanical minded but I'll have ago if it's not to difficult.
Hope some one can help, Robbie
ghostrider
My Cars:

Fans again

Post by ghostrider »

Robbie,
I don't own a xantia, but had the same problem with my BX. If it is about the same setup you should find a sensor screwed into the bottom of the Rad somewhere, with an electrical connector with probably three wires coming from it, which are fairly thick (3mm Dia or 4 sq, mm crosssection) using a piece of wire to bridge the connector once you have pulled it off the sensor should with the ignition on cause the fans to run at either slow speed or high speed accodring to which pair of terminals you bridge, on the BX all the wires are on the same side of the supply ie you can't cause a short to earth. If the fans run then it is the sensor if not check the earthing of the fan motors . the Haynes manual should identify where the earth is. You could also try separating the wiring connector near the fan and running a supply direct to the fan just to confirm that it is not faulty, I had a coolant leak once that got into the fan motor and caused the brushes to seize thus no contact and no fan
Pete T

________
MERCURY ZEPHYR
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.