C5 Rear Hub Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JT
My Cars:

C5 Rear Hub Replacement

Post by JT »

Has anyone out there replaced the rear hub on a c5.
This morning while driving to work I heard a squeal from the rear of the car. When I stopped to check, I discovered the rear passenger side wheel was hot and seemed to be leaning in slightly at the top.
Is this the old Peugot/Citroen disease.
Does anyone know how to replace the hub or is it a job for the garage.
I am assuming the hub must be replaced as it is too difficult to replace the bearing on it's own.
Should the stub axle be replaced as well.
I would appreciate any information on the issue.
Thanks.
:(
JT
paulbx
My Cars:

not Hub but trailing arm

Post by paulbx »

Hi there

take a good look and see if both or one side does this / \ instead of this | | .

It must be bad if its squealing as its probably rubbing on the inner wing.

There a are lots of post on how to replace the bearings in the arms with repair kit (from GSF or Plaiedes for example) tehse post are for BX or Xanria - not sure if same procedure exactly fro C5 - soemone will know on this baord. PArts about £80

Takes 3/4 hours a side for your first time - half that once you've done it once.

PaulB
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Seems unlikely it's the trailing arm bearings (assume this is still in use on the C5). So you're left with hub bearings or the brake caliper dragging. Since the wheel appears to be leaning in at the top, it looks like the hub bearing may be at fault. Take the wheel off and check the caliper is not twisted and rubbing on the disc though of course!

Just checked on pr.net and, yes it uses trailing arms, and yes the bearing only comes complete with the hub, and yes it costs £170 from the dealer. Ouch. I'd be making dead sure that was the fault before ripping it off!
Richard W
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

I took off the wheel to have a look and all seems fine with the bearings.
I am beginning to think that the "leaning in" I can see is an optical illusion.
I spent the weekend going around car parks looking at other C5's and they all look the same.(Must get a life, must get a life.......)
Anyway, I think the heat being generated is caused by the brake caliper sticking. Has anyone had any problems with the rear brake calipers on C5?
:(
JT
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

JT -

I believe there is much wisdom in your words "must get a life, must ..." 8)
Because I really think you worry for nothing - nothing at all.

It dont take many seconds of brakes working to get them hot. The last meters slowing down before you reach your own driveway could very well do it. The heating up is very fast - as the brakes must take exactly the sam Bhp energy as the engine delivers to bring up the speed of the car.
Not the way you normally think about the brakes - but so it is.

When the car is at standstill - there is no air shifting round the brakes to cool them down - and it takes forever to cool down the brakes :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

Thanks Anders, but one rear wheel is hot and the other one cold.
So I took another look a the caliper on the side which gets hot and discovered that the inboard pad has a lot more wear than the outboard one.
So I am thinking that the piston on this side is sticking or not retracting.
To try and solve the problem I took out the pad on this side and pumped the brake pedal until the piston came out more than it had been previously.
I then pushed it all the way back into the cylinder and reassembled.
I was able to push it back easy enough, there was no unusual resistance.
I have had two Xantias and never had a :?: problem like this.
However I did have a similar problem some years ago on a Peugot 405 with a front caliper
JT