SUSPENSION

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red5
My Cars:

SUSPENSION

Post by red5 »

Sorry for such a basic question but what type of suspension does my 1997 Xantia 1.9TD desire have? I need to order some spheres for it but im not sure if it is hydractive or not.

Many Thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its hydractive you will have a switch by the gear lever which says 'sport' and 'auto' you will also have three spheres front and rear, the normal 'wheel' spheres plus and extra one somwhere near the centre.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Just leading onto to confirm what you will need incase your unsure of the 'terms' of the spheres for the suspension.

If you have a basic 6 sphere setup (non Hydractive)

Then you will need to order "2x Front Spheres"
"2x Rear Spheres"
"1x Accumulator Sphere" this is at the front
"1x Anti-Sink Sphere" this is at the back

Of course thats if you are replacing all of them!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
red5
My Cars:

Post by red5 »

Hi

It does not have the switch in between the seats. A friend of mine is reasonably clued up with the xantia after owning 3 of them. The suspension is hard on the front so he tells me I need two spheres and an Accumulator. Even with the suspension in the condition it is in I just cannot get over how good the ride is in this car, its so good I have given my younger Corsa to my Daughter
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

It would appear your friend is right and the front 'two' suspension spheres will need replacing (Easy job to do yourself so dont spend the money on the garage doing it).

However, replacing the Accumulator sphere! You will only need to do this if it is 'clicking/ticking' every few seconds after the ride height has stabilised. If its clicking like mad (located at the front of the engine from underneath) then its time for a change and make it fairly prompt (as this is a braking aid!) but if its 'say' every 30seconds or more then a replacement isnt due just yet!
red5
My Cars:

Post by red5 »

Thanks for all the advice, and yes I do need an Accumulator. So with this in mind were is the best place to buy this stuff from either online on in my locality of North Wales, I also need to do the cam belt, but I got the car for a song so I dont mind spending a little to get it sorted.

Cheers
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

GSF seems to be as good as anywhere else.

All spheres are £18.65 +VAT +P&P-(£4 i believe)

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/

Ive only ever ordered online, quick and easy and delivery is very quick!
red5
My Cars:

Post by red5 »

Hi

I found the gsf webite and Im about to order the two spheres and the accumulator as listed below.

N45332 SPHERE-FRONT XANTIA 1.8 16v/1.9TD/2.0/HDI NON Hydractive £ 19.50

N45304 ACCUMULATOR SPHERE XANTIA ACCUMULATOR £19.50

Quite a bit cheaper then mu local motor factor so thanks for that, I was expecting the accumulator to be twice the price of a sphere going off his prices.

Cheers