Exhaust rear silencer.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bigjoe
My Cars:

Exhaust rear silencer.

Post by Bigjoe »

Hello again,
Dont know if anyone might know this but i have a 1.6i hatch and im wondering if any other rear silencer (1.8?) would fit it as due to it needing a replacement rear box and the serious lack of funds at the moment i have been looking on ebay but cant find a 1.6 box but planty of 1.8 and 2lt ones,hopefully they might work as there's a big hole in the current one after it died the other day :(
Im out there somewhere!

Xantia 1.6i LX (i know but i had to start somewhere!)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Ask the seller to measure the diameter of the pipe where it joins the rest of the system, measure yours, and see if its the same.

As long as the pipes match in diameter and the general layout is the same you can bodge any other fittings, hangers, etc.

The alternative is a nocturnal root through the scrap bin at your nearest fast-fit outlet, where you will find all sorts of back boxes, many in good nick, some of which can be made to fit........ :wink:
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

According to the Bosal catalogue

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/ex ... =Hatchback

The 1.6 backbox is the same as the 1.8 8 valve and the 1.9 Diesel (non-turbo). Its different to the 1.8 16 valve and all other engines.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If it's just gone at the joint with the pipe, fit a sleeve. If done properly, it will last indefinitely.