Xantia fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daz

Xantia fans

Post by daz »

The fans on my '98 Xantia (with aircon) run most of the time. The temp gauge reads 85 degrees, but the fans start even after journeys of a couple of miles and are often accompanied by the stop light on the dash. They even sometimes run with the ignition off when the top radiator hose is only slightly warm to the touch to the point where I have to keep putting the less than 12 month battery on charge to avoid starting problems. All of this happens without the aircon being switched on. Could it be a bitron sensor problem?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It could be the bitron unit, but first check the connections to the temperature sensor (usually screwed into the thermostat housing, but could depend on the engine fitted to your car).
My car had the bitron unit replaced by the previous owner without curing the problem, when it was actually just a loose connection.
I had the same problems, i.e. fans coming on with a cold engine, warning lights on intermittantly. After cleaning up the connections about two years ago, I've had no more problems.
Nick