General advice please various

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

General advice please various

Post by simonelsey »

Hi my xsara Hdi estate is starting to be right pain.

1) Clutch seems to be slipping still , did the same last winter , and stopped sliping during the summer , come back again during the cold snap eg december - seems to be ok now warmed up weird this is .
2) still having problems with drivers side front brake , changed caliper , hose , still binding slightly .
3) just had crank pulley done and exhaust done and 1year mot.
4) new kid on the way ,so transporting me,wife and 3 kids(5yrs.2yrs and baby) and 2 dogs around.

Given all the above do I.
1)book into garage and get them to strip brakes/diagnose fault fully ,+ get clutch done maybe looking at 500-800 pounds for all of above and keep it
2) Chop it in for berlingo or fiat doblo or wait for new skoda MPV. reason bit dubiuos about having /using lapbelt for kids .all above have 3point belts xsara doesnt

Im open to suggetions.
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

In view of your family increase and your worries about kids safety - I'd certainly look around if a good trade offer was to be found - on a bit more recent car with updated safety belts.

It all depends on your finances.

Always booking the car on repairs ? - never DIY on it ?
Because I'd say the brakes problem should be a simple matter to rectify. A garage would of course need the feed for labour.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Could the clutch problem be due to the cable icing up? A problem well known to bikers!
deian

Post by deian »

If i was in the same situation, i'd get a xsara picasso or a xantia estate (baring in mind of the air/hydraulic suspension on the xantia estate (good for weight, but make sure it works i.e FSH), sticking with a HDI engine on either.

Just an idea for you to consider. Obviously if you want to stick with Citroen, go for the Berlingo. Good luck anyway.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The current Berlingo has 4 EuroNcap safety stars where the Fiat has only 3 :wink:

http://www.euroncap.com/index.php

Have a look in the small mpv section for both.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

[quote="deian"]If i was in the same situation, i'd get a xsara picasso or a xantia estate (baring in mind of the air/hydraulic suspension on the xantia estate (good for weight, but make sure it works i.e FSH), sticking with a HDI engine on either.

thanks all for advice . I think the xantia will be to dear on insurance :cry: ..
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy