How to replace C5 rear pads and discs?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

How to replace C5 rear pads and discs?

Post by bencowell »

The car is a 2.0 HDI 110 (2002 model)

Firstly, is it an easy job? I only have pads, discs and 4 caliper bolts (on advice from Cit).

Any hints and tips? Do you need a special tool to rewind the rear calipers, or will a square section bar or a G clamp do?

Thanks in advance.
Ben
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try do a search on C5 brakes or calipers - pads. Its been discussed before and if my memory serves me correct you need that special piston rewinder socket on front pistons only.
Donno what you need the caliper bolts for ? - unless its the pad retainer bolts of some kind.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
JAY61076

Post by JAY61076 »

Just did them on mine a few weeks ago the front where a pain ended up useing a 1/2" ratchet to wind the caliper back. The rear where a 5min job just the same as the old Xantia

Hope this helps
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I tried to search but didn't have any luck!

The dealer said that the bolts should be replaced. For £5.50 I won't argue too much.
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

Bencowell, if they owt like my 2002 xsara hdi-110 , its a piece of p*ss.

Mine were Bosch calipers which just had a pair of 17mm AF head screws on the back. Just undo the screws, take off the caliper plates with the pads , and get a thick blade screwdriver to wind back the caliper piston.

Maybe I exchange knowledge for a quick test of that chip of yours ;-)
( I'm at Hollingworth Lake just inside the east lancs border )
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

In theory, undo pad retaining bolt, pull off cover, remove pads. Push pistons back, pop new pads in, reassemble.
In practice.... corrosion occurs between the back of the alloy caliper and the steel mounting plate, and this forces the caliper out of line. The mounting bolts also corrode into the caliper. This can make the job quite difficult, it took me ages to get the bolts freed up, so I could take the calipers off, clean them, and apply a coat of copaslip to stop it happening again. and yes, you *will* need those new bolts! Also worth giving them a good smear of copaslip too.
Now I've done all this, I hope the next time I have to change the back pads it will be a failry painless procedure :D
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I'm replacing the discs as well, my query is that if I remove the caliper bolts, does the caliper split in 2 and require a new o-ring and bleeding afterwards?

Cheers.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Take out the pad retaining bolt and remove pads. Then REPLACE the pad retaining bolt and tighten nut. You can then take out the through bolts without the caliper coming in half.
If you go to these people: http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/
you can get new pad bolt/dustshield kits quite cheaply. You'll find the originals do take quite a bashing!
HTH
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Does anyone know the torque that should be applied to both the caliper retaining bolts and the smaller pad retaining bolt?

Cheers
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I asked the dealer for a printout of the exploded diagram from the parts computer.

http://www.bencowell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/c5rear.jpg

Hope this helps anyone interested.

Ben

p.s. Does anybody know the torque to be applied to the bolts?[/url]
Last edited by bencowell on 29 Mar 2006, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Oops -

Ben - can you possibly reduce the size of the image (or tack it) - as the current size downloads very slow for modem users - which we still have many of.

Rear caliper bolts torque : 32.5 lbf/ft.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Cheers AndersDK, I've changed it to a url.

This is the diagram from the Bendix pads, it shows how the springs fit.
http://www.bencowell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/c5brake.jpg
Sorry, this one is a 600k file. Had to scan at higher resolution in order to see it!

Ben
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The first picture looks absolutely identical to the rear brake setup on the Xantia. The second is different, it appears to have pad wear sensors on the rear calipers, the Xantia never had those.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The pads don't have wires.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

From www.brakeworld.co.uk

C5 rear calipers Image

Xantia HDI rear calipers Image and Image

Similar.