How do I change my front sus spheres .......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ian62
My Cars:

How do I change my front sus spheres .......

Post by ian62 »

Hi All,

I have just found out my Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi Estate needs new spheres.
I have had 3 Xantias before BUT this is the first that I have had susp problems. Can someone point me to a 'foo-proof' guide to changing the front spheres.

Many Thanks

Ian :D
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Use the search forum facility, above- type in 'change spheres' or variations thereof, and you will be rewarded with so much information and so many techniques for this job that your brain will probably explode!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

One thing that's worth mentioning about renewal of an accumulator sphere is TO BE VERY CAREFUL not to puncture the car's radiator when the wrench etc suddenly 'lets go' when the sphere turns...

Trust me, I've seen a mate's Damage It Yourself exploits!!

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Ian -

You have done Citaerobics (lots of ups & downs) to ensure the suspension is vented for any air/gas ?
If you can press down the suspension when car is in normal drive height (and engine idle) - then its not the spheres that is the problem.

Replacing the front suspension spheres is about the easiest task on a hydraulic Citroen :

Have the engine idle and handbrakes applied - then set the suspension to its lowest (service) position. Wait a minute or so then turn off the engine.
Now prepare the surroundings under the sphere for some spillage of LHM oil (rags, papers etc). Have lots of rags handy as LHM is a greasy mess on your hands.
Now spheres can be unwinded. You must use a proprietary tool which can grip around the sphere - and have a lever bar of at least 0.5m.
An example is the BOA wrench - similar tools are around.
Do NOT rely on an oil filter removal tool. It will slip or snap and you may injury yourself.

You just need to crack loose the first 1/4 turn or so. Then the sphere unwinds by hand.
Place a new LHM wetted seal (square profile - NOT an O-ring) inside the sphere mount then wind on the new sphere. Tighten by hand ONLY !
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ian62
My Cars:

Post by ian62 »

Thanks for your help - can someone tell me the citerobotics process ? :D
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Check out this topic for Citaerobics
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... itaerobics
Basicly moving the suspension lever through its full range of travel,letting the car rise & lower to remove any air in the system :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k