Another plippin question!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenzx
My Cars:

Another plippin question!

Post by citroenzx »

Sorry about another question on this monotonous subject,

I often see plips and receivers appear on ebay usually going for around £20. I've been told to stay away from the plips on there own but what about when it comes with the receiver?
Would it just be a case of taking out the old one, plugging in the new one and away you go?

Cheers
  ...:::CITROENZX:::...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes on car of the age of ZXs,BXs and xantias,but i would think on newer car such as xsaras and C5s they are they might have to be reprogramed,as all the "brains" have to hand shake
regards malcolm
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Ok thanks, has yourself or anyone actually done this?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Don't know about others, but the early (1993-1997) Xantia infrared plip receivers can be moved from one car to another - and they remember what plip they're programmed for. Just unplug it from the ceiling and plug in the new one...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Hi I have bought 3 plips from ebay all for pre 1997 xantia's and all of them i reprogrammed and all worked 100%
i paid £8, £10.57 and £14.23 for them
CURRENT CARS:-
2019 CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 110BHP MANUAL (WIFES CAR)
2020 CITROEN AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 130BHP AUTO (MY CAR)
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

ok, did you do that yourself or have to go to the dealer?
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Did them all myself all within 1 minute and all were working excellent
CURRENT CARS:-
2019 CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 110BHP MANUAL (WIFES CAR)
2020 CITROEN AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 130BHP AUTO (MY CAR)
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

sounds like its worth a razzle, cheers
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

I have been 'watching' these xantia mark 1 infrared plips on ebay for the last month or so, and if this helps this is what they were going for.

£15-£20 3 plips
£20-£25 7 plips
£26-£30 3 plips
£30-£35 2 plips
£36+ 1 plip

So from this it seems £20-£30 is about the going rate. although you need to make sure the plip actually works, i.e. both front and side light glow when you press the button, and no dodgy flashing sequences as is often the case. First one i won was around £26 but was faulty (press the 1st button it glows, the release the button and it glows again, what rubbish), sent it back to the seller and he refunded me, well done :D

Second one i have just brought this week for £16.50, i reprogrammed it myself using info from this forum (also see my thread earlier this week) and now the c/l, deadlocks and alarm work perfect.

By the way I don’t know if the zx is the same as the xantia plip, but what i do know is with the xantia mark 1 with the IR plip, the receiver can reprogramme any plip to it.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

_kid_ wrote:By the way I don’t know if the zx is the same as the xantia plip, but what i do know is with the xantia mark 1 with the IR plip, the receiver can reprogramme any plip to it.
Just to minimize any confusion here for anyone reading, it is actually the receiver which is programmed, not the plip.

Every plip has a worldwide unique (and unchangable) code number (for that brand and type of plip) like a serial number or pin number. By programming, you are telling the receiver to accept that code.

The cue to the receiver that it should be learning a new code is the ignition key voltage activating followed by a few dozen presses of the same coded plip. (One of the wires to the receiver is +12v ignition)

Therefore there is no problem using the same plip on more than one car - you just program as normal, and each car "learns" the code of that plip.

Warning! If you sell a spare plip to someone, even after they program their car to work with it, it will still unlock your car unless you program your car to a new plip !! (Removing the battery is not enough to clear it, as it stores it in an EEPROM)

If you try to program two plips one at a time on the SAME car you'll find it wont work, whichever one is programmed last will work and the other one wont. But you can (apparently, I don't have access to two plips) program a car to accept two by alternating the two plips.

EG: Ignition key on, then rapidly press plip A, plip B, A, B, A, B, A and so on 30 or so times, then turn off the key. Now the receiver will recognise both plips. As far as I know nobody has tested to see the maximum number of plips that can be programmed at once...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Armadeus
My Cars:

Post by Armadeus »

How do one remove the key itself from the plip? It looks like riveted to the plip and sure is a tad difficult to remove. Once removed, how to refit the new key again?

Would the two button plipper works OK for a car without deadlocks? Thanks guys!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Armadeus wrote:How do one remove the key itself from the plip? It looks like riveted to the plip and sure is a tad difficult to remove. Once removed, how to refit the new key again?
I would imagine you would have to drill out the rivet and re-rivet it. You could replace it with a nut and bolt but it might be prone to coming undone from flipping the key in and out...
Would the two button plipper works OK for a car without deadlocks? Thanks guys!
Yes, the one and two button versions of the remote are interchangable.

A two button remote will work on a car without deadlocks or alarm, but the second button will do nothing, while a single button remote will still operate the normal door locks on a car with deadlocks, but will not activate the deadlock/alarm feature.

By the way, even if the car doesn't have a factory fit alarm or deadlocks, the receiver still has both outputs, so if you get a two button remote you can connect the alarm/deadlock output of the receiver to a custom fit alarm, as it is a simple open collector output which is grounded when the button is pressed....

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Armadeus
My Cars:

Post by Armadeus »

Hello Mandrake. Thanks for the detailed explanation. :D
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

you can buy from Citroen the special rivet for holding the key blade in. It is not really a rivet but 2 halves that push together. They are different on IR and radio plip's.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

thanks mandrake, thats some really useful information.