plug in chips for HDIs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Honda
My Cars:

Post by Honda »

Concerning the turbo lifetime, I am aware of 2 rechiped HDi, 3 VW Tdi, and one BMW 320d engine where the turbos broke (amongst other malfunctions, including transmission).

:idea: To avoid trouble, the chip dealer recommended:
- Stay bellow 2.000RPM until engine is warm.
- Let the turbo cool down after long journeys or sport driving, by leaving the engine run on iddle for 2 minutes before turning it off.
- Avoid driving it like a petrol car (use the high RPM progressively).

If these recommendations are met, I believe the turbo will last as expected in a rechiped car.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

I have had my box on (psi motorsport (they supply to eastcoast racing)) for about 12 months now.

For me fuel economy is no better than it was before, slightly worse if anything. The extra power is there if you need it which is nice to know when over taking.

I would certainly suggest you have a look on ebay. I bought mine off there second hand for about 100£. I get clutch slip on the highest setting (there are 4 settings - 1 being the same as standard power and 1 lower power), so I have it on setting 3 - very little difference between that and setting 4.

The box does make a big difference to the way it pulls etc but I would be more inclined to go for one of the remaps you can buy off ebay (they come round to your house or you go to them for about 180 quid). I think this is a more 'elegant' way of doing it and people seem to see better gains in power and very importantly economy.
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I don't really see the point in these tuning boxes, remaps are far far superior. All a tuning box can do is extend the duration that the injectors are open for. This can cause smoke which in turn causes the engine to heat up more. (As in effect you are retarding the injection window) A remap can get around this, by accuratly determining when the injectors open (injection advance) at which load point (How far you have your right foot down Vs Engine speed) and for how long they are open for. This way you get more power than a box, less smoke and less heat. You can also map where you want your extra power, which you cant with a tuning box, which is why they cause clutches to slip sometimes.

I have a bit of experience in remapping my 306 HDi. I have got a KWP2000 interface which means I can read and write new maps to my ECU from my laptop. Once there you can use software such as WinOLS to modify the ECU file and the maps within it. So if anyone wants to know any more, I'll be willing to elaborate on the above (I've kept it very vague about remaps and tuning boxes above as I'm at work at the moment!)

Dont waste money on a tuning box, you can get quality remaps these days for £150 - £200 which give far more power and actually more MPG than a box :D
2003 Xsara HDi 110 - Commuting Hack

http://www.rossy.org.uk/ - 205 Track car progress
Honda
My Cars:

Post by Honda »

From my personal experience, I would recommend rechip/remap for calm drivers, and getting a bigger engine/faster car (with original chip/map untouched) for 'nervous' drivers.
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

Honda, I'm going to make a comment, but first I need to make it clear that it is only made in jeste ...and it is in NO way intended to be personel against you.

Okay here goes .....

Having experience of driving though France and especially right into the centre of Paris, I'd love to know what the French definition of a calm driver is..... :roll:
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

rossd wrote:I have got a KWP2000 interface which means I can read and write new maps to my ECU from my laptop.
With one of those can you play with a Lucas EPIC on a 2.1TD?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

The KWP2000 can only be used in PSA HDi engines (Dw10ATED and DW10TD) on Xantias, from 1998 to 2001.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
awg2

Post by awg2 »

ebod wrote: Having experience of driving though France and especially right into the centre of Paris, I'd love to know what the French definition of a calm driver is..... :roll:
The driver of the Dauphin to be found attached to the poplar by the right angle bend into many a village.

The definition may have changed in recent years....
C5 2l 2001 130K - daily use X-country (must change job)
Xantia 1.9TD Estate VSX 1995 111k - daily use X-county
3xBX 1xGS 1x16 TS - oh that was a Renault