BX Diesel Turbo water Pump leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pmhpmh

BX Diesel Turbo water Pump leak

Post by pmhpmh »

I have developed a drip apparently from the water pump body. (The drip is actually appearing at the bottom rear end of the plastic timing belt cover).

It is not worth changing the water pump, does any body have a view on whether this type of leak gets worse suddenley or does it just settle down to a permanent weep.

I was about to fit a replacement radiator to overcome a leak from the matrix (I already have the spare) and discovered this new leak. Is it worth continuing.

BX 1.7 Diesel Turbo
TR7 convertable
Fiesta 1.25 16v
Golf GTi Mk2
88 BX 1.7 Diesel Turbo now gone
PICASSO 1.6 HDi 92 - time will tell!
83 TR7 conv never welded yet!
96 Fiesta 1.25 x 2
87 VW GTI waiting cam belt (no time)

www.cyanic.co.uk
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the bid to keeping BXs on the road is always worth it,do you mean you were going to fit the main rad or are you refering to a replacement heater matrix,because replacing the main rad will not fix heater matrix leaking,also when you bear in mind that the cam belt runns on the water pump spocket if this goes you will cause a lot of damage to your engine
regards malcolm
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's certainly not going to get any better!
Water pump leaks usually get worse gradually, but over quite a short time. As a last resort, you could try one of the various sealing compounds available, or a home-made substitute (nutmeg?), but they don't usually work very well on pumps.
OTOH, a new pump won't cost a fortune - just a bit time-consuming to fit.
For the time being, run without the radiator cap to prevent the system pressurising, but watch the temp gauge.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if water is leaking at the pump it will be getting into the bearings and doing them a lot of no good,when they give up so will your cam belt and you will end up beding some valves,it is a lot cheaper to do the pump than having to have the head off,whilst your doing the pump put a new cam belt on,the water pump is not one of those jobs that should be patched up or bodged
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

Thanks for your replies. As the weather was nice, I decided to change the radiator anyway. I will watch the weep from the pump carefully.

I am thinking of changing one of the cars and whilst I am reluctant to ditch the BX since it is one of the best old cars that I have had, I regard it as worth nothing. (having put 25k on it, and I have only put an octopus and nsf front bushes on it) despite having only paid £200 for it. Educational value as well, since I was new to Citroens!

The access to the pump and timing belt looks very poor, about how long to change?

BX 1.7 Diesel Turbo
TR7 convertable
Fiesta 1.25 16v x2
Golf GTi Mk2 waiting for cambelt

and no time to do anything else!
83 TR7 conv never welded yet!
96 Fiesta 1.25 x 2
87 VW GTI waiting cam belt (no time)

www.cyanic.co.uk
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The job is approx 1 complete workday for the average diy'er. Do it on a saturday - then you have all sunday to recover !
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is listed aprox 2.5hrs to do a cam belt so you can add about half an hr or so for the pump as well,and the acces is not to bad once you have removed the inntercooler pipes and the top of the O/S engine mountting,as then you can lift and lower the engine by quite a long way this gives very good acces,besides BXs are dwindling away fast and once you have fixed it properly im sure you will regret thretening to chuck it away,far easyer to fix than a modern thing like a xantia
regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are you sure it is the pump? On earlier cars there is a fuel heater just behind it up above the steering rack on RHD cars and eventually this corrodes through. The changeover is when the black plastic fuel filter is fitted - this is over the thermostat and incorporates the fuel heater. The ones with the heater at the back of the engine have the remote fuel filter by the LHM tank and the large thermostat.
jeremy
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I have had a leaking coreplug situated behind the fuel pump manifesting as a leak from under the belt covers, look before you leap.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or the water branch at the lower back O/S of the engine
regards malcolm
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

Its going to go! But very quickly!!!!!!

Too good for scrap, Yours for £25 see advert

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 094#115094