xantia ride height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham593192

xantia ride height

Post by graham593192 »

Is there an easy way of checking and adjusting the ride height of a xantia that doesn't involve lots of jacking up, adjusting, dropping down and re measuring?
I assume the ride height is adjusted by the height corrector linkage on the anti role bar?

I have enough jacks, ramps and axle stands to get the whole car of the groundif this makes it easier.

If its a massive job i'll drive up to birmingham and us th efather in laws garage ramps
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

firstly why do you think the heights need adjusting,because they do not go out of adjustment on there own,and if you realy need to adjust them you will need the car up in the air still on all four wheels with plenty of room under it for you with it at its lowest height,so you do not get squashed when it drops rapidly as you move the hight rod clamps on the anti roll bar,when doing this job these cars can kill
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree with citronut. The suspension is easy enough to adjust, probably a 5 minute job, but you do have to be able to safely get under it. I reckon that if the suspension arms are level i.e. parallel to the road, the height is about right.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im not sure about the xant but the bol gives details of the hights and where to take mesurements from,but you cant do this job with the wheels of the ground,if you dont have the use of a workshop car lift the next best method is have the car up on four car ramps,and then put a flat pices of something across each pair of ramps on one axle and use the bottom edge to take your mesurements from,to what ever point on the sub frame they say to take it from
regards malcolm
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

How do I put this without being blunt .... Hmm.....

Oh bugger it.... GO AND USE THE RAMPS, do not even dream of trying to adjust the height of the car without :

a) ramps
b) pit
c) 4post drive on hoist

You can't really adjust the height with axle stands, lifting the car off the ground is no good as the wheels will then simply dangle down, not allowing the height to be set.

Have a read of my thread over on the Aussiefrogs bulletin board. Yes it's a CX, same sh!t different shape :)

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33725

Good luck
Shane L.
PS: I'll say it again DO NOT GET UNDER THAT CAR UNLESS IT'S ON RAMPS !!!
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Graham you still have not said why you think the hights mightb need adjusting,as they never go out without being adjusted,what usualy makes them look out wehen they have not been fiddled with is down to other things like sticky linkage
regards malcolm
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

Sorry for not replying earlier but been working since I posted yesterday morning.
Ive suspected the ride height has been out for a while since I replaced the metal height corrector/anti role bar linkage going over speed bumps to fast at work. At the time I didn't have time to set it up again correctly when I replaced the link and just set it so it wasn't sat on the floor or fully up.
I never realised how far out it was, as it drove fine, until I drove the 1.9td sx the missus is drivin around in at the moment and I could tell straight away that they were both riding at different heights just by looking out the side windows and also the distance the headlights shine. I suspect mine is riding high rather than the sx riding low as I know I didn't set it up again accurately.

from the responses I think I'll just get it on the father in laws ramps next time i'm up there so not messing about crawling around on the floor undernieth it
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

why did you alter the hights when just replacing the link,you should not need to adjust anything to do that job,and you should certainly NOT crawl around under there adjusting anything whilst its on the ground,as these cars can trap you at the very least or even KILL,as they do drop rapidly
regards malcolm
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

It wasn't the plastic link i replaced. It was the metal link that connects the plastic link to the anti-role bar. The plastic link survived the extreme speed bumps but I replaced it anyway