ABS mot - again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

ABS mot - again

Post by Ross »

Sorry to bring this up again - I have checked the reistances via the multi pin plug with info from the forum and it appears all sensors are ok as reading over 1000 for each of the circuits - is there any other electrical fault that i can check for before I start messing about with the system - can I confirm the ABS light only refers to the ABS system and isnt anything to do with the pads etc etc -
still the light refuses to go out and the elusive MOT cert is no nearer and Haynes doesnt really give any help at all - i have checked all fuses.
As a recap the ABS light came on the night before the mot test at the same time the hand brake cable failed (what a night ) - is it possible this has broken a wire somewhere - if it is why do the sensors show a reasonable reading on the multi meter ?
Happy days - new tyres, new spheres, sense of humour - just cant get the ****** light to go out lol
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

These links may help

http://www.bba-reman.com/index.htm

http://www.carelect.demon.co.uk/

Some Xantia ECU's are prone to problems which some consider are due to the use of a flexible plastic circuit.

jeremy
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

1) The pads wear warnings have nothing to do with ABS light. These are separate circuits and warnings.

2) You have read out "over" 1000 on each sensor ? That does not sound right to me. The reading should be close to 1000 ohms on each sensor - not simply "over".
Meaning readings between some 900 - 1200 ohms is correct. The resistance you are checking is the sensor cabling and the coiled thin wire in the sensor itself - As the sensor is a wounded magnetic coil sensor. This can not be super accurate - hence the allowance for deviation in readings.
I have a feeling you may have overlooked a couple of bad sensors (or cablings) using your approach. Because "over" 1000 can very well be interpreted as a disrupted sensor.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

Thanks - I'll check it again and get back on the forum
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

I have rechecked the readings and they are
front left 1016
front right 996
rear left 1054
rear right 1039

Do you know if these readings mean the sensors are ok and are not the problem as the wiring and sensor should be ok to get this reading

Thanks
Ross
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

yes - sensors OK.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you checked all of the fuses,as some one i know had a BX with ABS light on all the time,it had blowen fuse 14 which is only for ABS system,then a few months later i noticed the light was back on so i asked him if he has had to stamp on his brakes recently he said he had,fuse 14 had gone pop again,so we put it down to something in the ABS unit causeing a dead short when it came into play hence blowing the fuse
regards malcolm
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

I had a faulty earth connection up behind the dash before putting the ABS warning light on when I had my old 405.

The earth wire was something to do with the instrument cluster.

Found that fault by accident when fixing something else.