New Radio Fitted

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

New Radio Fitted

Post by Nomad »

Hi

So when did radio connectors become standard?, or was i just lucky?

I brought a cheap radio € 80 for my Xantia (it plays MP3 via CD, SD Mem card or USB Mem Stick. I all so went out and bought a load of spade connectors and some cable (just to be prepared)
The new radio had two big connector blocks on it so i thought i would be there ages tracing the feeds and the speaker cables and getting them connected.
But the connectors on the cable from the car just clipped in to the new radio, and every thing works fine :) The only thing that wont connect is the aerial cable as it has a female connector and the radio a male one, so i am off out to buy an adaptor for it now.
It has been about 12 years since i fitted a radio in a car and it was never that easy.
Also had to fit the new face plate and heater fascia surround, i got an original Citroen one from a car in the scrap yard (the one with the opening & closing panel that hides the radio) for € 2.
OK the steering controls do not work , but i knew that would not, but for some reason i can not figure out, the new radio comes with a IR remote control :? i cant see the point of that really.

The whole job took about 40 mins

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Not as much fun when they plug straight in is it!

Have fun reading the instructions - I fitted something similar in my BX last year and I'm still inding new bits that it'll do.

Whilst I know that remote units exist I've never used one but do wonder if it may be quite useful and give simple access to some of the more useful functionson the radio. Whilst you can't get the steering column controls to work you may be able to fix the remote somewhere where its convenient - possibly even the wheel boss!
jeremy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

With a bit of time and ingenuity, you could even wire the remote control direct to the steering wheel buttons.
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Sod that, it sounds like too much work. :)
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback