how much for a xantia silencer?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

_kid_

how much for a xantia silencer?

Post by _kid_ »

How much should i pay for a xantia silencer? ive just paid £60 supplied and fitted with the usual 2-year warranty. Is there any technique to differentiate between a good and a bad quality one?

the car is 1.8 16v hatchback
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well GSF are asking £56 + vat retail
regards malcolm
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

they were asking £62.50 from me!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry it is an 04 cataloug im using
regards malcolm
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

My xsara rear box went (2 weeks ago), kwik fit , wanted £87 for rear box and £85 for center bit as reckon the rust on center wouldnt allow new rear to be clamped , kwik fit checked prices and all under 50 per cent off range . so just charge me £87 for center and rear :lol:
Seems to be a price war between fast fit garages at the moment .
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

They usually go at the junction with the pipe, and can be 'permanently' repaired with a steel sleeve, fibreglass mat and Leakfix or similar (not exhaust putty, but the polyester stuff - it doesn't get too hot that far back). I did one which lasted for three years until I sold the car.
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

dnsey wrote:They usually go at the junction with the pipe, and can be 'permanently' repaired with a steel sleeve, fibreglass mat and Leakfix or similar (not exhaust putty, but the polyester stuff - it doesn't get too hot that far back). I did one which lasted for three years until I sold the car.
exactly what happened to mine, rusted off at the joint between centre pipe and silencer. i should have called you :wink:
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

PSA Different Vehicle Similar Problem.

Post by ACTIVE8 »

_kid_ wrote:
dnsey wrote:They usually go at the junction with the pipe, and can be 'permanently' repaired with a steel sleeve, fibreglass mat and Leakfix or similar (not exhaust putty, but the polyester stuff - it doesn't get too hot that far back). I did one which lasted for three years until I sold the car.
exactly what happened to mine, rusted off at the joint between centre pipe and silencer. i should have called you :wink:
The Peugeot 206CC has been known to have a problem with these, at this connection, and a repair sleeve/joint is available from Peugeot.