Clutch Question Xantia TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

fix it again tony(fiat),woof woofs(rover) and ivecos use the PSA lump,im not sure who elss uses it,but no other maker could match it
regards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

jeremy wrote:1997 Rover 220's had a 1994cc diesel which is a Rover/Perkins size I think.
You're right that the Perkins Prima was the same size as the engine that the Rover 220 has but it isn't the same engine. The engine in the 220 diesels is the Rover 'L' series, its direct injection and nowhere near as noisy as the Perkins Prima. The Prima was the one that the Maestro and Montego got at idle it sounds like a filing cabinet falling down a flight of stairs. It is just about the noisiest diesel engine I've heard in a car on account of it being direct injection (one of the first direct injection engines in cars) but it was more economical than pretty much anything else.
citronut wrote:fix it again tony(fiat),woof woofs(rover) and ivecos use the PSA lump,im not sure who elss uses it,but no other maker could match it
regards malcolm
Fiat only use the PSA engines in some of their commercials (Ducato & Scudo vans) and their people carriers (Ulysse i.e. the Fiat version of the Synergie/C8/807 etc.). Just to confuse things they have their own 1.9 litre diesel engine range too, those 1.9 engines find their way into several Vauxhall / Opel cars e.g. Astra, Vectra etc as well as the various Fiats, Alfa Romeos and Lancias.

Offtopic here but, why did everybody seem to think that 1.9 litres was the right size for a diesel engine, Citroen/Peugeot, Fiat, Renault and Volkswagen all produced their diesel engines in that size.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

given up

Post by jgra1 »

ok ;) i have brought an EBC for the car, correct one..

So, after i fit this friday, if anyone wants a very clean and nice Xantia in Green, M plate TD SX, with 130K (30K on another engine) Cambelt changed when engine fitted.

Taxed - 2 1/2 months
MOT - about 10 months

All works perfectly, except for Key fob.

Since I got car last year I have done the following.
New Glow plugs
New Oil Filter
New Air "
New Fuel "
Gearbox Oil
Engine Oil
New suspension top strut mountings (common fault it seems)
New front spheres
Good Used Gearbox
New Clutch
No oil / water loss
Very clean inside
All electric windows/roof, all works
Turbo cuts in fine
Alarm
Body pretty good except for bootlid (slight crazing)
Tyres all good
may need rear spheres..

make an offer before I ebay...
J
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Kowalski

I think when it comes to engines very few designs are simply optimised to produce the best engine and I rather think that in the case of the PSA engines and probably many others things like bore size are restricted by the available space.

All through the 60's BMC - later BL etc were criticised in the motoering press for using old long stroke engines in their middle sized saloons and things like the MGB. The reason was that the designs originally had to use the tooling put in for the pre-war Austin 10 - and its stroke was 88.9 mm - which you will recognise as that used in the 1.9 XU range - even for the 16 valve. In fact the use of a longer engine would have been virtually impossible in most of its installations with an end on gearbox.

Buyers of cars have perceptions of what they are looking for and this extends to engine size. If you remember the original Cavalier when announced had no engine size badge on it as Vauxhall did not have a 2 liter engine to compete with Ford. That an 1.6 Cavalier performed better than a 2 litre Cortina was not considered relevant!

Another very important factor is engine weight - which of course affects handling etc. A short engine means a compact crankshaft and crankcase. make it bigger and both need additional strengthening to function and absorb vibration and so the problems grow.
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Re: given up

Post by andmcit »

jgra1 wrote: make an offer before I ebay...
Whereabouts are you John? How much are looking for it then?

Andrew
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi, Mid sussex, East Grinstead.. (near Gatwick)

I was hoping 345..