Which radio for Xantia 1.9 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Hi all

Hope you can help me out here, at the moment iv'e got a JVC CD/Radio/Tape player with a 12 CD changer unit in the boot, but, I would love to have the controls on the steering wheel working, is there any way I could do it without having to buy another player, or is there only certain players that you can have???
'94 M Reg Xantia 1.9 TD LX...70,000 miles, had it 2 years now and still LOVE it.

What a day,Oh what a day...
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Steering wheel controls work on the basis of a bank of resistors on the steering wheel which are switched by the steering wheel buttons. The radio has to have an input socket which will accept the plug from such a steering wheel control.

It works on the basis that whichever button or combination of buttons you press on the steering wheel presents a particular resistor value to the radio unit. It interprets the resistance and carries out the relevant control.

If your radio isn't set up to recieve the input then it won't work with steering wheel controls.

I swapped my standard radio for one with a cd player some time ago but the cheapest one I could find that accepted the steering wheel remote inputs was over 150 quid.

It was worth it though because its great to use the controls on the wheel and I get even more functionality eg. I can switch the radio on and off from the bottom left button. I can swap from radio to CD player and change cd track. I can change from FM to MW, I can change the low, medium and high sound decibels on the graphic equaliser all from the steering wheel.

Cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

radio

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

£150 SQUIDS...Not spending that sort of money on another player when there's nothing wrong with my JVC one, i'm just not sure that it has the steering wheel remote inputs that you talk about...anyway i'm well jealous now, :mrgreen:

Is there not some sort of adapter that I can use :?:
'94 M Reg Xantia 1.9 TD LX...70,000 miles, had it 2 years now and still LOVE it.

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I don`t know if Halfords can get you an adapter for your JVC, they could certainly get one for my Sony mp3 Cd player--£29.99. They are available--ask Halfords. I only got to the stage of finding out how much they are, and if available. I found it cheaper to adjust controls manually :D
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Hey Greg

Your Xantia looks just like mine... :lol:

Will investigate this further and go to Halfords at the weekend, it would be soooo nice to have those nifty controls working.

I love my Xantia :)

Debbie

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I think it's unlikely that you'll find an adapter, as JVC use a serial interface for controlling their CD changers. Translation could be done, but I doubt it would be economically viable on a commercial basis.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Hey, I more than likely have the exact same JVC head unit with 12 cd boot changer and I also thought about the same as yourself.

Unfortuantly it doesnt look as if their is an adapter for a JVC but like previous posts their are for Sony's however you lose the functionality of having 12 cds on hand :) instead of spending £30 for a sony single cd player.

In the end I just gave up, if you really want them steering wheel controls then try finding a Citroen Blaupunkt (before 97', Mk1 stereo) head unit with boot changer...found in VSX's...not SX's....and I believe from my months of researching the VSX's may of only had them in as an extra to.

Try FleaBay for alternatives :roll:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
XantiaJon
My Cars:

Post by XantiaJon »

I brought a basic JVC unit in Motorworld for my Xantia, Motorworld had in stock the adaptor to go with a Xantia, Autoleads, make adaptors, takes some knowledge to get the correct lead, but it works perfectly. All the remote functions work!
Xantia HDI 90, W reg. 80000 Miles.
Peugeot 205 GRD, E reg! Speedo stuck at 411000 miles! Still going strong
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Xantia Radio

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Thanks Jon

Will have a visit to Motorworld tomorrow, fingers crossed they have what I need, if not I may consider selling my unit and buying another that will work.
Will post an update when I know more, thanks again

Debbie

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

http://www.autoleads.co.uk/database/Xantia.html

I'm sure the head unit interface will do the job for you. Certainly it works for my Xantia and Xm with Sony head units.

Andrew