Xantia 1.9 TD hard to start / no rev counter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tambo

Xantia 1.9 TD hard to start / no rev counter

Post by tambo »

Hi,
I've got problems with my 1.9 TD (1998) thats getting worse. It's becoming hard to start, even when warm.

Also it sometimes starts but runs really really rough, and rev counter doesn't work !!! When it does this I just turn it off, and try again - the no rev counter and running rough always coincide.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Tam
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try use the hand pump bulb on the filter assy before next coldstart.
The fact that the bulb can be pumped at all indicates you have an air leak in the fuel system - and this is by far the most common reason for rough running & hard-to-start diesel engines.

Not sure on your rev counter symptom. This would indicate some kind of an ECU problem. Does your '98 TD have ECU controlled timing with the sensor pickup coil on the one injector ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As Anders suggests, I suspect that your car, being a '98, has an ECU. The same pulses that drive the rev counter are also probably used by the ECU to determine the TDC position. the most likely problem is a bad connection on the plug/socket that connects to the sensor. You will find this just above the gearbox bellhousing where it bolts on to the engine. The plug/socket is bolted to the cylinder head, you may have to remove a few pipes to get at it. Pull it apart and give it a clean and a smear of grease. If that doesn't cure it, it could be the sensor itself, I believe GSF do them.