LHM PUMP LEAK

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

LHM PUMP LEAK

Post by tonyb1 »

My beloved Xantia passed it's MOT today, I also had it serviced and asked them to check a bit of noise I'm getting from the steering, which I can feel through the wheel now and again. I've now been told that it's due to the LHM pump having a leak. He says that I need a new pump and shouldn't leave it for too long. Is this a pricey job? He's getting me a quote on Monday.
Xantia 1.9 TD LX 1994 - 152,000 miles and running, strange vibrations
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'd have thought that this was about right. You can get a pridce on a pump (recon) on the GSF or Euro Car parts website - both have on-line shops and are priced.

Your car may have a single or twin outlet pump. The difference is that the twin pump is used on cars with the anti-sink mechanism which was introduced in 1994. My guess is that in fact air is getting into the pump and while often the hose from the reservoir to the pump is the culprit there are some pumps where the inlet connection falls off and lets air in. If I'm wrong and you hav a LHM leak there will be LHM everywhere.

If you look in the reservoir you will probbaly see some evidence of the air - green milky LHM or loads of bubbles. If you want to check things you can substitute a length of clean garden hose and see if the bubbles dissappear. Often leaks occur after work on the system when one end of the pipe has been removed for priming the system for example and not re-fitted carefully.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I recently purchased a pump from GSF, it was about £150 + vat but they make a whopping surcharge to make they get the old one back, so be prepared.

If not all the pistons are pumping it can give a rough feeling to the steering, but its certainly worth checking what Jeremy says.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Thanks Jeremy, I do have bubbles in the reservoir, there's a bit of a LHM mess but not much. Looks like I'll have to get the credit card out. Thanks Peter :(
Xantia 1.9 TD LX 1994 - 152,000 miles and running, strange vibrations
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

No - don't pay for anything until you've checked out the hose. Don't assume its the pump until you have some evidence. After all you'd be furious if you bought a pump and found you still had the same problem.
jeremy