checking LHM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

checking LHM

Post by fangy »

How do i check the LHM fluid on a Citroen xantia,the float level has two rings the upper one is orange and the lower one is a gold colour,could someone tell me is it the upper or lower ring that has to be used as the indicator?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the yellow (orange) disc is the level indicator,on level ground put the car right up on its highest setting,when the car has stoped rissing the yellow(orange) disc should be between the two red bands on the clear plastic dome,the lower band beeing min the top beeing max,if its higher than the top band there is no problem except the fluid level is to high,the only thing this might cause is fluid seeping around the top of the tank,the lower copper disc is what connects the two wires at the bottom of the dome to put on the warning lamp to indicate low fluid level,you cannot check your fluid level in any other way to get a corect indication of how much citro blood is in the system
regards malcolm
Clogzz
My Cars:

LHM level

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks for getting back to me so quick, I used the bottom copper ring as my marker, with the car at it's highest setting the top orange ring is just over the max level, with this amount of lhm in it will seeping around the top of the tank be the only thing to watch for or should I drain some out?
Fangy.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

to much fluid will not hurt anything,it might just make a mess,as i said earlier the copper disc is what shorts out the two contacts in the bottom of the dome
regards malcolm
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks for your help,
Fangy.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

not very scientific i know but every citroen i've owned the float has always been stuck so i just take off the filler cap and as long as i can just touch the fluid its ok, if you can't realy overfill it.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

davethewheel wrote:not very scientific i know but every citroen i've owned the float has always been stuck so i just take off the filler cap and as long as i can just touch the fluid its ok, if you can't realy overfill it.
a lot of people say about these floats beeing stuck,but in all the years i have worked on and around citroens i have never seen one stuck just the tank over filled,if you take the float out of the tank you will see there is notthing at all that it can get stuck on,as the float and the stem are just one piece moulded plastic running up and down in a smooth plastic tube
regards malcolm