Leaky Boot Again - Xantia Estate!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

My 1998 model had a plastic tailgate but I don't see why that would be an issue for a towbar mounted bike rack.
DerekH
My Cars:

Post by DerekH »

About 3 years ago there was a post from a guy who reckoned that the problem was due to a build up of water on top of the bumper due to heavy rain. On my car the bumper top actually slopes down to the tailgate so there would indeed be a build up of water over the seal level in heavy rain.

I got an X reg estate 2 years ago and the carpet underfelt was sodden. I dried it out, but remembering about the bumper comment I drilled a hole in each corner of the bumper at the door edge just below the rubber buffer. The holes were about half inch diameter and can't be seen when the tailgate is closed. I've never had a damp carpet since.

Derek
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

DerekH wrote:About 3 years ago there was a post from a guy who reckoned that the problem was due to a build up of water on top of the bumper due to heavy rain. On my car the bumper top actually slopes down to the tailgate so there would indeed be a build up of water over the seal level in heavy rain.
That's what I thought at first and I drilled a few drainholes in the bumper to no avail.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Homer wrote:My 1998 model had a plastic tailgate but I don't see why that would be an issue for a towbar mounted bike rack.
Because it has two straps that hook onto the top of the tailgate as well as the towbar mounting.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

andmcit wrote:I'm not going to go outside in the damned cold again, but I'm tempted to have a prod about look see on my estate! I'm sure it IS actually metal rather than the naff plastic on the hatch. When did you last see the paint and laquer peeling off an estate tailgate...?

Go on, prove me wrong, I don't care!

Andrew
Well a quick, and easy way to find out would be to borrow a fridge magnet from the fridge.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

320i coupe wrote:Thanks for info, i will give it a go!

But one other thing, is there a repair kit for the washer beneath the rear wiper, or does anyone know where i can buy a replacement washer for this???

Thanks

Steve
It's not available from GSF, it's a main dealer part only.

The main dealer lists two items that mount on to the spindle.

These are part numbers 641789 (outer) 641790 (inner)

Apparently these items are available separately.

They were not in stock at the main dealer I tried.