Xantia turns but won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Whitecrook
My Cars:

Xantia turns but won't start

Post by Whitecrook »

I've got a 96 19.td lx xantia estate here and it's been giving me problems all the time and now this one really takes the biscuit. Any advice would be appreciated.

the car has been starting no problems (perhaps a bit rough for the first minute or 2 every morning (like a petrol engine misfiring).

Now I had the car out yesterday for a short run and today it refuse to start.

It turns, and kicks but never actually starts. Like if you forget to disarm the immobiliser. There is no smoke out the exhaust either.

The glow plugs are about 6 months old.

I suspect it may be fuel as it reminds me of what happens when a petrol engine is starved of fuel.

I have primed the fuel using the pump with ignition on and off, pressed the fuel cut off switch loads of times, the ignition is working, I can hear the relay for the glow plugs.

When priming the fuel bulb I heard i high pitched wheeze, I noticed the fuel line connects onto the pump(?) was a bit loose, I can rotate it (even with the jubilee clip thing on ) so it seems there was possible small air leak there.

Could this cause the problems?

If I can't resolve this I think I'll just junk the car as seriously there is a new problem every week with it anjd I've had enough.

Thanks all
--
'96 Xantia 1.9TD Estate
Whitecrook
My Cars:

Post by Whitecrook »

I know it's bad form to follow up your own post, I just used some pliers on that clip and there's no apparent airleak anymore, but the problem still remains.

Possibly a broken fuel pump? Do these things just break overnight like this?

Thanks
--
'96 Xantia 1.9TD Estate
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Re: Xantia turns but won't start

Post by fastandfurryous »

Whitecrook wrote:I think I'll just junk the car as seriously there is a new problem every week with it and I've had enough.
I'll give you a fiver for it!

But seriously.

If there is no smoke from the exhaust when cranking the engine, then it does sound like there is no fuel being injected.

First. Check that the stop solenoid is being energised. This is the D-cell sized chunk on the injection pump with a small lead going to it. Should be +12v when the ignition is on.

If that's on, check for fuel delivery. Crack off all of the injector supply pipes half a turn and then crank the engine.. does fuel weep out all over the injector? If not, then there's something more serious going on.

It may simply be that you have had an air leak into the system, and even though it's now fixed, there's still air in the injection pump. To fix this, first disconnect the leak-off return line to the main fuel return line and pump the primer until fuel squirts out. Then follow the procedure above regarding cracking off the injector unions, and crank the engine until fuel does spit out. Then do the injector unions back up, and try to start the engine.
This is not a signature.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Contrary to petrol engines setup - you have no separate external fuel pump on a diesel.
This means you must ensure the fuel lines are absolutely tight all the run from tank to to filter to rotopump.
Rarely if ever at all you will see any symptoms from fuel line leaks as they are under vacuum. This is how the nasty air problems are created on diesels.
Despite the high injection pressure the suction side of the pump is weak and needs to be absolutely tight. Any weakness found is a problem on the list of corrections needed !
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Whitecrook
My Cars:

Post by Whitecrook »

Wow thanks a lot for that one.

I had to read and re-read your post about 50 times before I understood it:))

Anyway I replaced the dodgy clip with a new jubilee and tightened, I located the D-cell sized thing and tested the wire coming out the top, 12 V.

I cracked of the rightmost injector using 17mm spanner, but couldn't get into the other ones so I jus thought I'd try with that.

Started 1st turn, and spewed diesel all over the engine bay. Never mind, tightend it back up and started again no problems, and went for a drive and tried to start again it works now.

So in conclusion this was probably just a small airleak from the fuel line? and now its fixed it shuold be OK?

Cheers.
--
'96 Xantia 1.9TD Estate
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Whitecrook wrote:So in conclusion this was probably just a small airleak from the fuel line? and now its fixed it shuold be OK?
Yes.

but you'll only know once it's been standing for a while, to see if it sucks in some more air.

If it is reluctant to start again once stood overnight, then you now know the problem... just have to find which union is allowing air in. (to be honest, it sounds like you've found it)

Does this mean I can't have your Xantia for a fiver then? :cry:
This is not a signature.