XM Drivers lock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jade Falcon
My Cars:

XM Drivers lock

Post by Jade Falcon »

Okay, I first posted this on Andyspares.

My drivers door lock just 'spins' in the lock, nothing will make it work. I've removed the grommet and tried tightening the hex screw in case it was loose.

Now I've heard that its a common problem for the locks to wear out, necessitating a replacement of the barrel.

What would any of you say is a reasonable cost.

Here is what I was quoted at Flemings of Ayr.

Inner and outer Cylinder-£77.50

Labour to shape the blanks for my key and fit the lock-£90

This, IMHO seems a bit excessive for labour.
1994-95 Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo Exclusive Hatchback
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

GSF list a door lock set for XM's - 92> for £45. There's something else for the estate as well.

jeremy
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hi,

If you're willing to give it a go, they can usually be fixed. They don't "wear out" as such, but a sliding section in the lock can seize up and need lubricating and freeing up. See the following:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... _locks.pdf

I used this info to succesfully fix the drivers doorlock on a Xantia which was also spinning around...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Many thanks to both of you, I'll give the lubricating a try. Personally I think the labour charge that Flemings was wanting was way over the top.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you push the key hard inwards as you are turning, it will sometimes grip. Mine was worn, so I swapped it with the passenger door, but you do have to do some dismantling as they are 'handed'. I have now got a replacement remote reciever so dont use it anymore!
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Peter.N. wrote:If you push the key hard inwards as you are turning, it will sometimes grip. Mine was worn, so I swapped it with the passenger door, but you do have to do some dismantling as they are 'handed'. I have now got a replacement remote reciever so dont use it anymore!
Oh I've tried that, and eventually that stopped working. The lock meets absolutely no resistance when turning.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh well! as you were then!
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Peter.N. wrote:Oh well! as you were then!
Thanks for the thought though, as too often its the simplest things that are the solutions. :)
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Mandrake wrote:Hi,

If you're willing to give it a go, they can usually be fixed. They don't "wear out" as such, but a sliding section in the lock can seize up and need lubricating and freeing up. See the following:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... _locks.pdf

I used this info to succesfully fix the drivers doorlock on a Xantia which was also spinning around...

Regards,
Simon
Many thanks Mandrake, I tried this today and it worked. I don't really know what I did, but its possible one of the tiny ball bearings wasn't in its right place. Whatever, prior to dismantling, the plastic clip at the end of the mechanism wasn't turning, after reassembly it was.

Thanks a lot, this has saved wasting a large amount of money on dealers rates. :D
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Jade Falcon wrote:Many thanks Mandrake, I tried this today and it worked. I don't really know what I did, but its possible one of the tiny ball bearings wasn't in its right place. Whatever, prior to dismantling, the plastic clip at the end of the mechanism wasn't turning, after reassembly it was.

Thanks a lot, this has saved wasting a large amount of money on dealers rates. :D
Glad to hear it... :)

Did you split the barrel apart into two pieces and grease it as suggested in the article ? Otherwise it might not last, as it is the sliding section that sticks preventing the balls from dropping into the right place...

The one we fixed is still going strong after 6 months.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Mandrake wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:Many thanks Mandrake, I tried this today and it worked. I don't really know what I did, but its possible one of the tiny ball bearings wasn't in its right place. Whatever, prior to dismantling, the plastic clip at the end of the mechanism wasn't turning, after reassembly it was.

Glad to hear it... :)

Did you split the barrel apart into two pieces and grease it as suggested in the article ? Otherwise it might not last, as it is the sliding section that sticks preventing the balls from dropping into the right place...

The one we fixed is still going strong after 6 months.

Regards,
Simon
I greased it a bit, but to be honest, the barrel was well greased already, that definitely wasn't a problem. I did get rid of some of the gunk that had collected though.