xantia - 3 different questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

erez
My Cars:

xantia - 3 different questions

Post by erez »

Hi again,
The car is xantia 2000, 1997.

1. I'm looking to buy a long hose to bleed the brakes directly back into the reservoir tank, do you know the diameter of the bleed screw? or the diameter of the hose itself, same.
2. I'm going to service the car alone in that weekend, i bought an oil filter manufactured by ASAS, ut has the signs of citroen and peguet on it, does anyone know anything about the company?
3. I forgot my 3rd question.

Thank you all for your help.
Erez, ISRAEL.
this is my signature....
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

1- Don't do that...
First, you need to press the brake pedal to get oil coming out. This oil (LHM, the same as the suspension) is dirty, and even thought the hydraulic system has filters, why would you want to do that? Come on!, a pint of LHM isn't that expensive!
2- As long as you got the correct exchange part, should be ok.
3- Talk to a doctor about those memory loses :P
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

1) "dont do that" - in principle I do of course agree 100% :wink:
- but in real life home at the shop ... :oops:
- and LHM is as common as hen's teeth in your part of the planet. Every drop will count then :D

I use some 5m of cheap standard clear PVC hosing. The type of hosing used for fuel, windscreen washers, air horns etc. etc.
B.elieve its 3-4mm internal diameter which will have a snug fit on the bleeders.

3) I know what you mean - forgot my answer to this issue ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I think it all depends on the state of your hydraulic system and whether you keep it clean.

If you change the LHM and clean the filters on schedule and you know the history of the car I see no reason not to use a long hose right back to the tank, and reuse the oil, in fact a long hose makes it easy to bleed lots and lots of oil that is needed to bleed the rear brakes properly. (Lots of piping length to bleed...)

On the other hand if you've only had the car a short while and don't know the state of the oil in the brake lines if this is the first time you have bled them, I would collect it into a container first and then only pour it back into the tank after inspecting the cleanliness and colour of the oil.

I use a 1 metre length of clear hose going through the lid into a clear plastic peanut butter jar, and bleed a full jar at a time. If the oil looks clean and green I pour it back in the tank, if it's too dirty I chuck it and top up with new stuff...

The first time I changed the "LHM" and bled the brakes on my car after getting it, it had ATF in it (GRRR) so naturally I chucked out that (red) oil as I bled the brakes until the fresh green oil started coming through...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Mandrake wrote:I use a 1 litre length of hose going through the lid into a clear plastic peanut butter jar
That must be quite a big pipe mate :wink:

I would have thought a short pipe into a clean container would be a better idea. You will have to drain the 5m long length of pipe afterwards anyway. I am sure that 1/2 a litre of LHM at a time won't empty the tank.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

BonceChops wrote:
Mandrake wrote:I use a 1 litre length of hose going through the lid into a clear plastic peanut butter jar
That must be quite a big pipe mate :wink:
Heh,

You must have been on the ball there, as I edited that typo only a minute after posting :twisted:
I would have thought a short pipe into a clean container would be a better idea. You will have to drain the 5m long length of pipe afterwards anyway. I am sure that 1/2 a litre of LHM at a time won't empty the tank.
Yeah, I use the short pipe and jar method myself although it can be tedious if you want to flush a large amount through...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive