XANTIA BRAKE PEDAL

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JOHN C
My Cars:

XANTIA BRAKE PEDAL

Post by JOHN C »

Hi Everybody,
Just a quick question from a newbie. The brake pedal on my 95 Xantia suddenly dropped to a much lower position than normal today. I had a look in the haynes manual and it mentions a return spring. Are they talking about the plastic pushrod/cylinder thing on the back of the pedal, or is there supposed to be an actual spring somewhere?
The brakes still seem to work although it now feels much more like an older Cit, very little travel on the pedal between just slowing down and a full stop.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,

JOHN C
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hi John,

There is indeed a spring inside the black plastic cylinder attached to the rear of the brake pedal arm... and it sounds like the spring has broken in yours.... I havn't heard of them breaking, but they are certainly a candidate to be removed if you prefer the original Citroen pressure sensitive pedal action. See the following thread for a lot more information:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=11689

It's a common mod to replace the spring with a piece of equal length tubing, (we've done it on all 3 of our Xantia's) so you could do this mod to get your pedal back up to the correct height....and get a more sensitive, accurate brake pedal action in the process...

Regards,
Simon

PS anyone (Shane?) know why the images aren't working in that archived thread ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Simon - the links are still working meaning the pics are still available on Shane's website.

I have absolutely no idea why it wont display if you go back to the thread.

All I did was to copy/paste Shane's link address - and then inserted the img codes. If you look at the source of this message - you will see the exact same code. A mystery really :roll:

Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
JOHN C
My Cars:

Post by JOHN C »

Many thanks for the info, I've had another look at it today and as far as I can see nothing has dropped off or appears to be in the wrong place so the plastic cylinder looks to be the most likely culprit.
Thanks again,
JOHN C