Aux Drive Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drewmunn

Aux Drive Belt

Post by drewmunn »

sorry for repeating this thread though its on a slightly different theme.

The high pitched squealing is getting worse on my xantia TDS - LX. Went to get a belt yesterday - didnt have the right one. Is there any danger driving like this?

when they make this noise could it mean its going to break or just need tightening or is it impossible to say?

i am a real novice to this as you can see but dont want to pay out for soemthing when i dont need to and also dont want to get stranded.

thanks.

Xantia TDS, LX (1995)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

There's no danger in driving it like this, only the embarresment factor when everyone looks at you :oops: :!:

Its probably just a bit loose and it can happen with a new belt thats not properly adjusted, and cold and damp weather make it even worse :x

The noise is made by the belt slipping under load from the alternator- its not likely to break. if it deflects under anything less than firm finger pressure then its too loose!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Went to get a belt yesterday - didnt have the right one.
If one place doesn't have it, another will. They're standard industrial belts, so can often be obtained more cheaply at places such as Bearing Man f you have one near you. Just find the reference stencilled on the existing belt, and quote it to them.