How interchangeable are turbos

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

busbuddy
My Cars:

How interchangeable are turbos

Post by busbuddy »

looking at this '96 xantia td engine I've got and I've started searching for spares.
I've got a garrett t2 454131-2 turbo and whilst the peugeot and xd cars share the same engine and ancillaries the turbo id number is different.
Can the xd turbo 454027-1 turbo, for example, be used on my engine or is it a big no-no.
Can't see why there are loads of different turbo's for the 1.9d in the xantia,(and for the 1.9d in general) when they are all designated as a t2, is it a number exercise by garrett or did they change the turbo output that frequently???
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As the power output for all applications is the same (I think) I would have thought any of the turbo's would have suited. They used two different turbo's on my CX td but everything else was the same.
busbuddy
My Cars:

Post by busbuddy »

I thought that too.
I think there are 2 different garrett turbo's, a 0.6 bar one for the DHW engine and 1 bar for all the rest, but there are about 16 garretts listed for the 1.9td engine in bx/xd/xantia form???
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I can only assume that any differences are in shape, mounting position and maybe exhaust flange/coupling for different applications. Everything else must be the same because all the XUD engines are the same (exept the 2.1)
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

There are at least two KKK turbos too. I know these are interchangeable because I carried out the swap myself. There was no change in boost or anything else untoward, so I assumed them to be basically the same. All fittings were identical too.

The only thing I noticed was that one seemed to be considerably better manufactured than the other. One being covered in rough edges and just generally not looking very well cast. Even the serial number was all uneven. The other one was completely the opposite. Everything neatly finished and a pleasure to handle.

Presumably they were just from different manufacturing plants and that's where the difference ended.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Peter.N. wrote:As the power output for all applications is the same (I think) I would have thought any of the turbo's would have suited. They used two different turbo's on my CX td but everything else was the same.
There are two different power outputs, dont forget that the SD has a turbo. The turbos aren't all completely interchangable, some of the vans and the people carriers have different manifold and turbo arrangements. That aside the rest of them are pretty much the same thing.

Even if they weren't identical, provided that you could hook up the manifolds and the oil feed, a turbo is a turbo pretty much. If you put too small a turbo on an engine it will run too fast at high revs but you'll have plenty of low down torque. The other way around gives no boost low down, then rocket like performance further up the rev range!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I had forgotten about vans. My CX had a Mitsubishi turbo!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

painful memory

Post by jgra1 »

I changed a turbo on a 405 TD, with what i thougt was exactly the same thing. After putting it all back together i realised i couldnt change gear ;)

the manifold was 1 cm shifted left on the new turbo, and fouled the gear linkage.. I think that Turbo may have been from an auto...

anyway, lesson learnt :wink:

J
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

This takes me back to my xantia days, the turbo blew, and I got a replacement from someone on the andyspares forum.

It arrived, and the air pipework on the intake side would not fit on the turbo - they were different connections.

The chap had the pipework spare ( he was scrapping the car ), so sent it to me - job sorted.

Beware, some are "innies" and some are "outies"
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Just in time. I'm changing my KKK turbo to a garrett from Fiat Ulyses but the exhaust flange is too large. Heard that garrett is better than KKK. Furthermore, there's no service kit locally for KKK but there's one for garrett, so that's another reason to change it. Hopefully can find a flange that fits.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

One of my Xantias is KKK the other is Garrett.

I can't really tell the difference. Initially I thought they were different in terms of low down torque and how the delivered boost but after removing a CAT and putting new air filters in there isn't a lot to choose.

The newer one is quieter (not sure which make) but its done less miles.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Garrett and KKK are interchangeable provided that you use the right steel oil line, another difference seems to be that on BX the pressurised outlet is held on by a hose clip, Xantia/306 seem to have a 2 bolt flange here.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.