Strange noise from window after it has closed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Strange noise from window after it has closed

Post by Nomad »

Hi all

My drivers side electric window in making a strange noise once it has closed.
When i use the automatic button to close the window it closes as normal all the way to the top, but a second or two after it makes like a ratchet sound that lasts about a second, (almost as if it is trying to tighten its self up) but it dose not seem to be staining it self at all when doing this.

Does anybody know what this is, and is my window mechanism likely to break.

Thanks in advance

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Does the switch feel normal, with a well-defined 'clicking' and release ?
Normally, about 1 second after the window is up, there's a ‘click’ coming from inside the door, like a current sensor that cuts the supply to the winder motor.
How about leaving the window all the way up, until you’re well prepared for a switch removal, or a look inside the door ?
Story here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=9456
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi

Yes the switch feels perfectly normal, and the window operates the way it always has done, it is just the last couple of days this sound has been happening. I have the rest of the week off work so if it is not too cold i might have the door card of have have a look at what the sound is.

Thanks

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The sound is from the gears slipping, because the motor isn't turning off in time.
Best wishes for a good fiddle ! :D
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When the gears grind like that, the gearbox on the winder motor is dieing.

Usually when the motor gets to the top it doesn't slip, it stops. The electronics detect that the motor has been stopped by something and turn off the power thats being supplied to it. Once the window reaches the top there should be no slipping, grinding, ratcheting or whirring whatsoever.

You should get this fixed because ultimately it will get worse to the point where your window won't go up at all. I had one go down properly but would stick at certain positions on the way up, you had to grab the glass and give the window a hand to get all the way to the top. I replaced that motor with one from a scrapyard (had to convert a passenger motor), there is a reason why all of the cars at the scrapyard had no drivers electric motor...